Advice for a easy nice floating plant.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iā€™m after a floating plant that will look nice in my pea puffer tank thatā€™s easy to grow.

Small looking lilly pad type maybe or ones tjay the stems look nice from inside the tank :)

Any recommendations I do have some Salvinia not put it in yet as it seems to overtake the tank.

Iā€™m after a floating plant that will look nice in my pea puffer tank thatā€™s easy to grow.

Small looking lilly pad type maybe or ones tjay the stems look nice from inside the tank :)

Any recommendations I do have some Salvinia not put it in yet as it seems to overtake the tank.
Frogbit is an awesome floating plant. Grows fast and itā€™s beautiful.

Yes it can. I used to have frogbit in both my tanks and the individual plants can be lifted out. In my tanks, the roots grew insanely long and if I didn't trim them they would drag on the substrate and tangle themselves in the other plants. This is frogbit in the shrimp tank. It grew thicker in the main tank though.
frogbit.JPG

Yes it can. I used to have frogbit in both my tanks and the individual plants can be lifted out. In my tanks, the roots grew insanely long and if I didn't trim them they would drag on the substrate and tangle themselves in the other plants. This is frogbit in the shrimp tank. It grew thicker in the main tank though.
View attachment 159053

Thanks kind of nice! Do you have any images of it from side view to see the roots? To trim it so you simply trim the root?

I never did get round to taking a view from the front of the tank. At every water change, I just got hold of a clump of roots and broke them off, repeating till they'd all been trimmed. I know that's not the recommended way to do it but the plants still grew like mad. In the end I couldn't be bothered with it so the shrimp tank now has red root floater and the main tank has water sprite again.

This is what my frogbit looked like in the main tank after weeks of trimming the roots
Frogbit in main tank.jpg

I agree on frog bit! Here are the roots in my tank. Fast growing, hardy plant. Beautiful lily like leaves like you wanted.
5CE23B08-0290-4FDA-8B59-B8F73BBAB478.jpeg

Velvet salvinia is also gorgeous.

Can I be removed completely if needed bud?
Removingt is easy for larger plants. Simply lift it out. The only plant the is known to be difficult to remove is duckweed. The plant is very small to begin with a new plant can be too small to see. So if you miss one leaf it will quickly grow back.

To remove it in may tank I had to remove every bit I could see once a day for months. I currently have salvinia minima and red root floaters in my tank.

Duckweed. Nobody fails with duckweed.

Actually there was a post on this site a couple of years ago about duck weed dying off. The one thing the will prevent a floating plant from doing well is a lack of nutrients in the water. If you have very soft water and few fish. Without nutrients from fish waist or what is naturally in your tap water plants will not grow and can die off. So in some cases you need to use a fertilizer to grow plants. Several things to remember about floating plant:
  • They get he CO2 they need directly form the air. So CO@ is not needed.
  • They trypically grow in pond or lakes in direct sum light with in general is typically much brighter they any indoor light. So your tank lights will not burn or damage the plant. And also they are also tolerant to low light levels.
  • Floating plant are most commonly found wet areas that get a lot of rain. Also wind can create waves and spray that put drops of water on the top of the leaf. So all heathy floating plants will not rot or die do to water on top of the leaf.
  • Many can survive total submersion in the tank with no contact with the air for weeks or even months. So high current across the top of the tank will not harm the plant.IN fact Duckweed,
  • salvinia and
  • red root floaters have actually grown in my tank while totally submerged with no air contact.
So if you consider all of the above the only thing that kills or makes floating plants difficult to grow is lack of Nitrogen, potassium, calcium, mangnesium, phosphate, sulfur, chlorine, iron, manganese, boron, Zinc, copper, molybdenum, and nickel. These are called essential nutrients .If just one is missing any plant will not grow or reproduce and will eventually die. Alll must be present for growth. And unfortuanlyately using any fertilizer is not a guarente that all nutrients will be present.

Last edited:
Removingt is easy for larger plants. Simply lift it out. The only plant the is known to be difficult to remove is duckweed. The plant is very small to begin with a new plant can be too small to see. So if you miss one leaf it will quickly grow back.

To remove it in may tank I had to remove every bit I could see once a day for months. I currently have salvinia minima and red root floaters in my tank.

Actually there was a post on this site a couple of years ago about duck weed dying off. The one thing the will prevent a floating plant from doing well is a lack of nutrients in the water. If you have very soft water and few fish. Without nutrients from fish waist or what is naturally in your tap water plants will not grow and can die off. So in some cases you need to use a fertilizer to grow plants. Several things to remember about floating plant:
  • They get he CO2 they need directly form the air. So CO@ is not needed.
  • They trypically grow in pond or lakes in direct sum light with in general is typically much brighter they any indoor light. So your tank lights will not burn or damage the plant. And also they are also tolerant to low light levels.
  • Floating plant are most commonly found wet areas that get a lot of rain. Also wind can create waves and spray that put drops of water on the top of the leaf. So all heathy floating plants will not rot or die do to water on top of the leaf.
  • Many can survive total submersion in the tank with no contact with the air for weeks or even months. So high current across the top of the tank will not harm the plant.IN fact Duckweed,
  • salvinia and
  • red root floaters have actually grown in my tank while totally submerged with no air contact.
So if you consider all of the above the only thing that kills or makes floating plants difficult to grow is lack of Nitrogen, potassium, calcium, mangnesium, phosphate, sulfur, chlorine, iron, manganese, boron, Zinc, copper, molybdenum, and nickel. These are called essential nutrients .If just one is missing any plant will not grow or reproduce and will eventually die. Alll must be present for growth. And unfortuanlyately using any fertilizer is not a guarente that all nutrients will be present.

Wow, thanks for that reply man so informative.. I have some red floaters in now but they seemed to be all clumped together when I got the out the pot and still seem clumpedā€¦

Iā€™m currently using APT AOI fertiliser. Again only from advice itā€™s all a learning curve for me and Iā€™m really enjoying it.

I got a couple of water lettuce a couple of weeks ago to float and provide shade in tanks. They quickly sprouted new off-shoots. I then moved them to another tank that I just set up and the edges have browned already.
Thinking about it, the tank they were doing well in was a new heavily planted and aquascaped tank which has loads of wooden hardscape, and is beset by lots of ugly biofilm. The biofilm is apparently due to excessive nutrients from both the aqua soil and the wood. The new tank I put them doesn;t have the same things being mainly a breeding tank.
I moved them back into the biofilm tank this afternoon. If they improve then I guess they;ll be helping use the nutrients that are causing the biofilm.
I'll report back in a couple of days as the plants do seem to change rather quickly

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back