What's new

Advice and Support for Novice

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ Click here to enter! šŸ°

River87

Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping for some advice on my new tank. Iā€™ve done lots of research but nothing beats speaking to people. I had fish when I was a teenager goldfish type ones and just had them in a tank and didnā€™t really think much about it. I feel awful now knowing what I do but they did live long and ended up enjoying there twilight years in my uncles pond.

We donā€™t have a great pint of space so we bought the Biorb 30l flow. However we out 2 platties in and it didnā€™t feel right. So Iā€™ve returned the Biorb (not a fan) and Iā€™ve got a second hand tank. Itā€™s only been empty a few days so Iā€™m hoping the cycling will be ok. Itā€™s even come with lots of snails which are alive and well.

We have a heater but the water temp is stable at 20 degrees. We currently have 2 female platties and want to build up slowly and safely.

The tank is 600 x 300 x 400. I donā€™t know if itā€™s 60 or 72 litres but itā€™s the biggest I can get. Itā€™s a Juwal 60

What would work well in there. Iā€™ve like easy and interesting fish. Maybe a bottom feeder or shrimp too. Iā€™m going to get some real Plants eventually.

I have a test kit etc so Iā€™m keeping an eye on the water. Currently PH is 7 and 0 ammonia.

Any other advice youā€™d like to impart. I hope Iā€™m doing ok and right by them. They seem happier as swimming loads more.

You mentioned cycling the tank so I assume you know of the aquarium nitrogen cycle. If not, please read on it in our Beginners section. You will to be sure it is completely cycled before adding more fish. Get a good API Freshwater Master Test Kit in order to watch your parameters as the tank gets cycled and the beneficial bacteria build up. Once the tank is cycled, we will happy to help you with stocking it.

Note: Here is the article on The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/

The tank is 600 x 300 x 400. I donā€™t know if itā€™s 60 or 72 litres but itā€™s the biggest I can get. Itā€™s a Juwal 60

Juwel's tank names include a number, and that number is the nominal volume of the tank in litres. For example, the Primo 60 holds 57 litres. If it is second hand it could be a Rekord 60, which does hold 60 litres.

The main thing you need to find out is the hardness of your tap water. Platies are hard water fish which won't do well if you have soft water. Your water company may give the hardness (mine has just stopped listing it!!) or take a sample of tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test it for GH. In both cases you need a number and the unit (there are several they could use)

The tank was an established aquarium from a family friend so Iā€™ve left the same media etc which should have all the bacteria? It was only empty about a day and still had the water in with the live snails so Iā€™m hoping that would suffice?

Yes I think it will be the Rekord which is 60 litres. Iā€™ve just measured it and on my calculations it suggests 72 litres albeit maths was never my strong suit.

I find it amazing that there is no advice in the pet shops where you can buy tanks and fish from.

My water is Slightly hard Water hardness average: 49.1mg/l calcium

Crikey so much to think about but Iā€™ll swat up!

Mg/l calcium is not one of the units used in fish keeping; it converts to 6.9 dH and 123 ppm which are the units which are used in fish keeping. This shows why we ask for the number rather than words - in fish keeping terms, that is not slightly hard, it is right at the top end of soft.

Unfortunately it is too soft for platies long term. They need a hardness over 200 ppm to be healthy. Can I suggest you think seriously about rehoming the platies and look for fish species that need the same hardness as your tap water.

Thank you so much. I will take them back. Why on earth are they sold in my area as everyone will have the same level of water softness/hardness. We did take a water sample in but I think it was just the ph they tested.

Shops usually do not take hardness into consideration. Also, it is possible to alter the tank water to suit hard water fish, but it is much easier to keep fish that like your water, especially as a newcomer to the hobby :)

Iā€™m going to go to a local shop tomorrow and take a sample in just to double check as that was just the website reading. I may try and rehome them as I doubt they will do much better going back to the shop and go into some childā€™s tiny tank.

Have a look at some of the nano fish available. You can get a lot more fish in a 60 litre if they are small. Maybe shoals of dwarf corydoras and something like ember tetras in a planted tank would look great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back