🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CaptainBarnicles

Moderate Pleco Tolerator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
This is weird, but are there any adults with ADHD here who would be willing to share their experience and day to day living with ADHD with me? It doesn't have to be here, it could be privately if you prefer...thanks ❤

I appreciate your willingness, it's a little different in adults I'm told so you may not be able to relate fully....I don't know a great deal about it and I'm trying to research and learn as much as I can. I'm about to start the assessment process but I'm fairly certain I'm ADHD...the fact that a teacher told my mum when I was 8 I should be assessed is confirmation to me. Unfortunately my parents didn't listen to the advice and nothing was done....I'm 33 and I've struggled my whole life feeling as though I'm failing as a human, unable to function as others do, people telling me I'm weird and lazy, that I don't apply myself and battling depression for as long as I can remember.

I'm 33 and I've struggled my whole life feeling as though I'm failing as a human, unable to function as others do, people telling me I'm weird and lazy, that I don't apply myself and battling depression for as long as I can remember.
do you have any interests or is it the point that you have no interests

I've had it all of my life, but wasn't diagnosed until 11 years ago at age 39. I am sure that I would have probably fared differently had I been diagnosed as a kid, as far as long term education goes (I am a high school graduate with a little bit of college) but the past is the past. I am medicated for it but I only take the medication in situations that require laser attention.

do you have any interests or is it the point that you have no interests
I definitely have interests but I lose motivation or the ability to continue and see things through....like, I'll be incredibly zealous about something and it's all I do and think about bit it's like I get bored and lose interest and won't finish the project or whatever it is that I'm doing

This is weird, but are there any adults with ADHD here who would be willing to share their experience and day to day living with ADHD with me? It doesn't have to be here, it could be privately if you prefer...thanks ❤
I had ADD as a child but never really got treated. As an adult, I decided to get tested because I was forgetting a lot of important stuff, had a hard time finishing projects, and most of all super depressed. At that point I was taking a lot of depression meds.

I got diagnosed, and now that im taking meds, I am much happier, productive, and more responsible.

There are so many different symptoms of adult ADHD but if you feel like something is wrong, its so important to see a doctor right away!

If its okay, would you share some of the symptoms that you have experienced?

I had ADD as a child but never really got treated. As an adult, I decided to get tested because I was forgetting a lot of important stuff, had a hard time finishing projects, and most of all super depressed. At that point I was taking a lot of depression meds.

I got diagnosed, and now that im taking meds, I am much happier, productive, and more responsible.

There are so many different symptoms of adult ADHD but if you feel like something is wrong, its so important to see a doctor right away!

If its okay, would you share some of the symptoms that you have experienced?
I'm also stupidly forgetful, I get easily distracted and struggle to focus. Mundane tasks never get completed, I feel like I start a thousand jobs and never finish a thing unless I'm put under pressure like, the mother in law is here tomorrow and this whole house needs cleaning! Then I can do it but I'm super stressed. I've been depressed for as long as I can remember, I also have Borderline Personality Disorder. I have little to no executive function, so planning, organising and achieving my goals is pretty much zero

Edited to add that sleep has always been a huge problem...as in, I don't sleep!

Last edited:
I'm also stupidly forgetful, I get easily distracted and struggle to focus. Mundane tasks never get completed, I feel like I start a thousand jobs and never finish a thing unless I'm put under pressure like, the mother in law is here tomorrow and this whole house needs cleaning! Then I can do it but I'm super stressed. I've been depressed for as long as I can remember, I also have Borderline Personality Disorder. I have little to no executive function, so planning, organising and achieving my goals is pretty much zero
That sounds like a possible ADHD situation.. I was unable to finish simple chores like laundry or cleaning. I was taking all kinds of meds for depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. since 2013 to 2020 and i was still SO depressed and had no willpower to do anything.. But with the ADHD meds my mood swings has gotten incredibly better, depression meds cut wayyyy down, just overall healthier mind!

Im not familiar with borderline personality disorder. But what you described to me sounds pretty much the same thing I was suffering with haha

Did u get it diagnosed??

That sounds like a possible ADHD situation.. I was unable to finish simple chores like laundry or cleaning. I was taking all kinds of meds for depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. since 2013 to 2020 and i was still SO depressed and had no willpower to do anything.. But with the ADHD meds my mood swings has gotten incredibly better, depression meds cut wayyyy down, just overall healthier mind!

Im not familiar with borderline personality disorder. But what you described to me sounds pretty much the same thing I was suffering with haha

Did u get it diagnosed??
Do you find your meds have helped you get your chores done now? What are the benefits of taking meds and have you also had therapy?

I've been on all sorts of drugs 9ver the years, from lithium to venlafaxine (which let me tell you is no joke! The withdrawal from that was absolutely brutal 😥)

I'm not diagnosed yet but I've started the process

i was diagnosed as a child they put me on Ritalin that made me really ill so i came back off it

and although i will always have it i manage it by other herbal medicines and it doesnt affect me half as much

One thing ADHD does is play havoc with everyday situations

Also I find that we don’t handle relationships and break ups well

I was with a lovely woman(despite a few problems)for nearly half a decade

she had alcohol issues and I have my adhd we did well but in the end broke up because of it all now I’m sure she has proberley moved on

likewise I have(in a way) I’m in another relationship etc and usually very happy

but despite all this still every single day I think of this woman and what could of been wishing I could go back and change the past sometimes nearly a year on still crying over this woman

Maybe if it wasn’t for my ADHD I could handle this deep set upset better

One thing ADHD does is play havoc with everyday situations

Also I find that we don’t handle relationships and break ups well

I was with a lovely woman(despite a few problems)for nearly half a decade

she had alcohol issues and I have my adhd we did well but in the end broke up because of it all now I’m sure she has proberley moved on

likewise I have(in a way) I’m in another relationship etc and usually very happy

but despite all this still every single day I think of this woman and what could of been wishing I could go back and change the past sometimes nearly a year on still crying over this woman

Maybe if it wasn’t for my ADHD I could handle this deep set upset better
Sorry to hear that...I relate where rejection is concerned, apparently its quite a big part of ADHD? Unable to self regulate emotions? I have this anyway from the Borderline so it's a double whammy 😔

Here's another...does anyone else...forget? Like, everything. I'm so inattentive that I forget to check up on my friends even though I know they're going through stuff etc....I can put something down and then instantly forget where I put it....or I'll be in the middle of whatever I'm doing and be interrupted/distracted and completely forget what I was doing in the first place.

Im not an adult either but I have ADD and aspergers (ADD is basically ADHD without the hyper-activity, although I do get hyper-active at times)... Its super hard for me to focus and teachers have called me dumb straight up... Peers have called me weird. Its super hard for me to fit in and I just have to deal with it until I learn how to cope

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back