ADF With Lump on Back, Losing Weight Rapidly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 10gal tank with a cory catfish, a male crowntail, and two African dwarf frogs. They have all been in there together for about 8 months now, and seem to be relatively problem-free. However, my concern is currently targeted on one of my ADFs, Quasimodo. I got Quasi and his friend, Bandit, as a gift from my parents. They came from a woman on Craigslist who had a 5gal with frogs, but was no longer interested in them. When my dad arrived home, the first thing I noticed was that none of the decor had been removed from the tank, and most of the stuff in there was tipped over. There was originally four frogs, but one died that night, and the other, a large female, died a few days later. I believe both were stress/trauma related, as the female was extremely bloated and had cloudy eyes. The remaining two consisted of a rather skinny little guy (Bandit), and another with an odd lump on its back. The lump extended from the left shoulder to part of the lower back, but didn't seem to be causing any issues concerning movement. All of this occurred over a year ago, and many things have happened since then. About seven months ago I noticed both frogs developing cloudy eyes and rapid weight loss, followed by extreme bloat. I put them in a quarantine tank with antibiotics and everything cleared up, minus the clouded eyes. Those took a little over a month to resolve, but both remained healthy for another six months or so. Fast forward to the other day, and I noticed that Quasi was seemingly skin and bones. Bandit looks completely normal and is feeding fine, as well as One-Eyed Jack (my older bronze cory) and Obi (my betta). Not sure what's wrong, as the levels are fine and the filter and heater are working...I don't currently have any photos of Quasi, but will try to upload one if needed.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The frog could have worms, an internal infection, or cancer.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The frog could have worms, an internal infection, or cancer.
Thank you! I'm not sure if it would be the first two, as he's had this lump since I've had him. However, the lump generally stays a consistent size, and seems to "fill out" when Quasi is happy and healthy, and appears to take up his entire body when he gets as skinny as he is now. With that being said, I am in no way an expert and need as much information as I can. If it were to be any of the above, what would be the most humane way to proceed? My hospital tank will vacant when I get back from school (my other betta had a bacterial infection that he recently recovered from, and is doing well enough to return back to his own tank), so I may be able to begin any necessary treatments.

no idea what the most humane way to kill a frog is. Maybe contact a zoo and ask them. They usually have herpitologists on staff that know about these things.

The following links might have some info.

no idea what the most humane way to kill a frog is. Maybe contact a zoo and ask them. They usually have herpitologists on staff that know about these things.

The following links might have some info.

Thank you! Unfortunately, the closest zoos to me are about two hours away (Omaha and Sioux Falls). Might ask my mother if I can make a call sooner than later. On the bright side, I have started putting extra frog pellets in the aquarium. Usually feed a pinch or two (my betta has deemed that betta pellets are not worthy of him, and only eats sinking frog pellets, mysis and brine shrimp lol) to keep everyone happy, but not sure how that will do on the filter. Quasi has seemed a bit fuller in the last few days, but will make my final decision in a week or two. Depending on how he's doing, might attempt to transfer him to my five-gallon with my other betta (less aggressive than the other, and doesn't yet have a taste for frog food) unless that would stress him out too much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back