ADF in community tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bigphesta

Reaction score
I see these things do eat fish... look at my 30 gal if you would and tell me if my fish are safe. The little frog is just an inch or so big so I doubt if they're in danger now... right?

Hi bigphesta :)

If you have an African Dwarf Frog, you have nothing to worry about. Your fish will be fine. But, If you have an African Clawed Frog, it's a whole different story. :/

The thing is, you have to know which frog you actually own. If it's an ADF. it will have webbed hands that look a bit like mittens. If it's the larger ACF, it will have pointy little fingers. There are other differences too, but this is a sure, yet easy way to tell.

Here's a link with more information and pictures so that you can compare them to your frog.

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18252

Please let me know which you have once you are sure. :D

Hi bigphesta :)

The you have nothing at all to worry about from your frog. :thumbs:

Just be sure that there are no openings at the top of your tank where he can jump out. These little guys are surprisingly able to escape through small spaces. :D

Hi Helium_Junkie :)

You can keep ADFs either alone or in groups; it doesn't really matter.

As for their tankmates, they will be fine as long as they are kept with small, non aggressive fish. If you look at their little arms and avoid anything that might be attracted to their waving and think of them as dinner, you should be OK.

Another thing to consider is that they are jumpers and must be in a closed tank. They are able to escape through some very small openings. You must also protect them from being sucked into a filter.

I like to keep them by themselves for their own safety. I have two of them who have been living happily in a one gallon jar for some time now. They do not need a filter and can do just fine with weekly water changes and an occasional good cleaning.

When I do this, I remove the frogs to a pot of dechlorinated water, empty the water and decorations from their jar and just swish some fresh dechlorinated water around in the jar. This washes out the gravel while keeping the beneficial bacteria. I then refill the jar with fresh dechlorinated water, replace the decorations and put the frog back in.

Just take care not to overfeed them so that extra food spoils at the bottom of the tank and all will be well.

Most reactions

Back