adding to my ram tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Auratus

Why am I browsing a fish forum at 2am?
Reaction score
I want to add some kind of algae eater to my tank. The fish are listed in my sig. I was thinking cories because I already have ottos in another tank and I wanted something different. I wanted a bristlenose but I don't think I have enough room. What do you guys think?

Looks like you have about 20 inches of fish in the 26 gallon. Does that sound about right?? Cories don't really eat algae, they mostly scavenge the bottom of the tank. They are great little fish to keep the bottom of the tank clean. If you want an algae eater you could probably fit one SAE. I'd also consider some ammano shrimp. They are amazing algae eaters they never stop and they don't count in the inch per gallon rule.

I can't find any amano shrimp in my area. Also, I think the blue rams would eat them since they stay at the bottom of the tank.

The 26 isn't the size of a regular 26 it's longer and shorter. Does anyone know how big bristlenose get? Also, I heard that SAE get mean when the get older. Is this true? I used to have two and they killed my African dwarf frogs.

I have a larger black gravel in my tank. I wouldn't want to damage cories little suckers (don't know the proper term).

Bristlenosees get to about 4-5"

THey are good little algae eaters, mine keeps my tank nicely! :)

I had ammano shrimp in with rams. The rams did not bother them the shrimp are quiet large. I did have some small red algae shrimp and the rams did eat them. I've never heard that SAE's can be aggressive. They are peaceful fish. I've read a lot about CAE's being aggressive as they get older. I think you can definitely fit a bristlenose in your tank. If your tank is long and short you have more surface area in the tank which means you can fit more fish if you use a stocking method that tanks into account surface area I'm sure you could fit a few more fish in there if your filter is good. I love my bristlenose. He is great at keeping the tank clean. His favorite is the brown algae. He does not really touch the green algae on the glass though. I have to get it off with a scrubber thing. The males have larger bristles on the nose and look cooler IMO. If you can find the albino variety they are really interesting looking.

Okay, I'll get a bristle nose. The lfs has them. I have two filters. A regent 5-15 power filter and a regent 15-20 power filter. So I have filters for 30 gallons and I have 26 gallons. I also have two heaters. I took the heater and filter from my old ten and added new 20 gallon filter and heater. So I hope that's good enough. The tank stays at about 76 all the time. But the surface of the water gets a little warmer because of the lights.

Most reactions

Back