Adding tetra active substrate to an established tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kbowns

Reaction score
Hi ,my question is I want to add tetra active substrate to an already established 90 litre tank with just 1 blackmoor in it.
Currently has fine black gravel in it but I want to add the substrate into the tank with the black gravel over the top.
So my question is how difficult is it going to be ,I have a spare smaller tank as a temporary holding tank for the fish ,but how bad could it effect the stability of the tank and would it be safe to add "vader" the fish back into the tank.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

maybe move the fish, and then put it in wait a week for it to settle

It will be difficult, as it is a big tank.

You will need to move the Moor into a 5g bucket with an airstone. Then you will need to take out all of the decor/gravel and drain the tank. Then you can clean it (recommend) and add your new substrate. (After you wash it of course)

It will be difficult, as it is a big tank.

You will need to move the Moor into a 5g bucket with an airstone. Then you will need to take out all of the decor/gravel and drain the tank. Then you can clean it (recommend) and add your new substrate. (After you wash it of course)
i dont think you are supposed to wash activated substrate... i didnt the first time i had a tank and it worked

Its a tricky one adding active substrate as the first few days after you add it you will have ammonia leak so you will likely have to do daily water changes to compensate especially as you have fish in there. I'd follow the Tropica set up guide which is daily for a week, every other day for a week, then 3 a week, then 2 a week and finally on the 5th week back to weekly.

You dont need to wash active substrate either - especially as you are capping it. You should wash all the gravel you are going to cap it with though as there will be a lot of nasties stirred up in there.

Wills

Thanks for the replies, I thought o might have to do regular water changes but thats not a problem I'll keep on testing the water .
Its my first go at using this type of substrate but really wanted to give it a go to see if I can get live plants to grow as I haven't in the past had much luck with live plants in this tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back