Adding seeds to a mature tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lifeofbrian

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this ok or can it only be done before a tank is filled?

Depends on the seeds I would guess - what are you trying to grow? I've grown a lot of seeded plants outside of the aquarium (HUGE waste of time) Never tried in the aquarium. I don't know if you have the right kind of substrate to actually get a plant to grow. You could trying doing it using clay or soil in water OUTSIDE your aquarium then you don't have to worry about the fish eating the seeds. Also you'll have to plant the seeds pretty deep to avoid them floating out when you clean the tank. It could take month's to get a decent sized plant going. Perhaps just get cuttings from a friend or buy the plants?

We need to know, seeds of what exactly?

I was thinking it may be an easy way to get a carpeting plant to grow, not sure what yet. My current substrate is sand over soil, but I will be replacing that with Volcanic Substrate Soil with sand around it(not on top).

Maybe I could just add some seed to the soil and add it with a funnel?

My lighting is 1.5 Watts Per Gallon if that helps.

Depends on the seeds I would guess - what are you trying to grow? I've grown a lot of seeded plants outside of the aquarium (HUGE waste of time) Never tried in the aquarium. I don't know if you have the right kind of substrate to actually get a plant to grow. You could trying doing it using clay or soil in water OUTSIDE your aquarium then you don't have to worry about the fish eating the seeds. Also you'll have to plant the seeds pretty deep to avoid them floating out when you clean the tank. It could take month's to get a decent sized plant going. Perhaps just get cuttings from a friend or buy the plants?

We need to know, seeds of what exactly?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My opinion is just based on my experience with growing things from seeds that are not aquatic plants - but while I've never had them fail to germinate, I've only had one kind of seed (marigolds) that actually grew to maturity and it took over 6 months. Everything else got too leggy or failed to develop a good root system and just laid down and died. (I was heartbroken at losing all my carnivorous plants that germinated). They sell little blocks of carpet plant squares - kind of like laying sod on your lawn and from what I've read they grow fairly fast and they are also pretty inexpensive (check Amazon). I would just skip seeding. Have you ever tried to overseed a lawn vs. laying sod? BIG difference - I would think aquarium grass would be no different. Again, I only have experience with seed outside the aquarium.

I was thinking it may be an easy way to get a carpeting plant to grow, not sure what yet. My current substrate is sand over soil, but I will be replacing that with Volcanic Substrate Soil with sand around it(not on top).

Maybe I could just add some seed to the soil and add it with a funnel?

My lighting is 1.5 Watts Per Gallon if that helps.

I'm stillnot clear on exactly what seeds you are intending. Do you mean lawn grass seed? Very few aquatic plants kept in an aquarium will seed without emersed cultivation. What "carpeting plant" are you thinking of?

On thee substrate, I wouldn't go this route. Volcanic soil will increase GH/pH and it will not be of much benefit if any for plants anyway.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back