Adding Plants to Tank (Newbie, please help)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JohnathanSt

Reaction score
Hi.

I set up my first tank and introduced some happy fish just over a month ago.
When I initially set up the tank I used plastic plants.
However I would quite like to remove them and add some real plants for me and the fish to enjoy.

Can you introduce real plants after the tank has been set up like this?
Can the plants be hard work and cause difficulties?
Is there any types of plant that would be recommended?

The tank is small (25l) and contains a betta and some neon tetra

Thanks for any opinion and advise

Welcome to TFF.

You can add live plants to an existing aquarium. Before we can recommend which species will be best, we need some data on your light. Be as specific as you can. Different plants have differing light intensity requirements. Light also is critical for algae control, something more important with live plants because algae can coat the plant leaves, killing the plants.

The substrate material is also worth knowing; you do not need any special substrate, but sand or fine gravel are better than large-grain gravel for plants rooted in the substrate.

Byron.

Welcome to TFF.

You can add live plants to an existing aquarium. Before we can recommend which species will be best, we need some data on your light. Be as specific as you can. Different plants have differing light intensity requirements. Light also is critical for algae control, something more important with live plants because algae can coat the plant leaves, killing the plants.

The substrate material is also worth knowing; you do not need any special substrate, but sand or fine gravel are better than large-grain gravel for plants rooted in the substrate.

Byron.

Hmmm the tank is a home 25....I just checked and its LED lighting. Would this be suitable? I also have fine gravel, almost like heavy sand.Thanks for the reply

I would imagine that LED is fairly weak. Similar to the Fluval Edge light. This will probably grow only the least fussy of plants. I would suggest:

1. Anubias Nana
2. Java Moss
3. Java Fern
4. Some Cryptocoryne species (you'd need to check what level of light they'd need.)

As a side note, all of these plants are slow-growing, so they can be susceptible to algae growth. I would recommend dosing Seachem Excel and Seachem Comprehensive, which are fertilisers.

Excel has the added bonus of being a slight algaecide.

Had to look online for your tank specs, seems the standard lights is a "5 Watt LED Fingertouch Operation, Dimmable, and with On/Off Mode for Timer Operation"

A 5 watts LED, imho is probably a low tech set up, but its unknown what intensity these LEDs are, so as Tekfish already suggested Anubias, java moss / fern and certain crypts, but also Vallisneria might be ok to start with and see what happens.

Avoid high or demanding plants such as hair grass, very fine leaved plants or plants with red leaves in general as these tend to be more suitable for higher tech set ups.

Be careful with fertilizers dosages as this can also lead to algae outbreaks. Research is key.

Its really a trail and error as to what exactly will grow in your tank but always best to start with low or plants that demands little lights or fertilzers and you will learn along the way what you want to try.

Your substrate is fine, no issues there.

I have no knowledge of LED lighting (I'm still using T8 fluorescent and CFL) so I accept the other members' comments on the light. However, this is a very small tank (25 liters, 6 gallon equivalent) and light will often be brighter than something comparable over larger tanks, so that may improve things for you. Which brings me to suitable plants.

Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss will all likely do well. Floating plants too. One good and easy substrate-rooted plant that remains smallish is pygmy chain sword. Crypts can be fussy, but chain sword thrives in almost any setting.

Fertilizers have now been mentioned, and these might be necessary, depending. The fish you have will provide nutrients for the plants, along with regular (weekly) water changes. Slow growing plants are not heavy feeders, so there may be no need to add fertilizers. Personally, I would add the plants and see how things go. The fish will be better without additives.

Byron.

Hi. Thanks for the above advise. I have taken it on board and now have some great real plants in the tank and they seem to be thriving. Looks much better. thanks again!!!

What plants did you get, do you happen to know?

A pic too, would be nice :snap:
We always like to see end results of aquascaping as we're nosey that way :lol:

What plants did you get, do you happen to know?

A pic too, would be nice :snap:
We always like to see end results of aquascaping as we're nosey that way :lol:

Of course....very pleased with it all

Attachments

• IMG_1893[545].JPG
    IMG_1893[545].JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 136
Nice, from what I can see there is java fern, java moss and a caboma type of plant.
Most are easy or low demanding plants.

:good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back