Adding plants to a cycling tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Sam Goldblat

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m new to aquatic plants but not having an aquarium. One of my molly got pregnant and itā€™s the first time one of the fish in my aquarium has ever got pregnant. Is it ok if I add plants to the tank even though it is not cycled. My gravel probably provided good nutrients because itā€™s Carib Sea plant gravel but Iā€™m not sure. Anyone have any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFF.

On the plant question, yes, you can add plants to a new tank that is not cycled. I would use a comprehensive plant fertilizer as nutrients will obviously be very few and the plants will struggle. The plant substrate may help plants rooted in it, but floating plants obviously will not benefit from this. But the cycling is not an issue. However, be very careful adding ammonia as this can kill plants. If you have plants, I would let them settle in without any artificial cycling.

I trust the molly is not in this new tank. This fish is highly sensitive to ammonia.

The Molly unfortunately is as I had to transfer it because of an emergency worm problem. But, I have been using Seachem stability. What do you think I should do?

The Molly unfortunately is as I had to transfer it because of an emergency worm problem. But, I have been using Seachem stability. What do you think I should do?

Stability will help. If you add plants, they will take up ammonia/ammonium as their preferred source of nitrogen and should be able to handle the ammonia from one molly, but that is provided they are growing. Floating plants are best for this as they are fast growers.

I currently have five fish 2 mollies (one pregnant) 2 sword tails and one kribensis and no plants but I will try to get some. Thanks so much for your help.

Plants (especially floating) will deal with the ammonia in the water... however, these fish are extremely sensitive to ammonia, so you need to test it.

Consider this a fish-in cycle. Personally, if you are going to spend money on 'bottled bacteria', I'd recommend either Tetra Safe Start or Dr. Tim's One and Only... these will provide the appropriate bacteria for the cycle, Stability does not.

Plants (especially floating) will deal with the ammonia in the water... however, these fish are extremely sensitive to ammonia, so you need to test it.

Consider this a fish-in cycle. Personally, if you are going to spend money on 'bottled bacteria', I'd recommend either Tetra Safe Start or Dr. Tim's One and Only... these will provide the appropriate bacteria for the cycle, Stability does not.

Agree, all points. But as he has Stability use it; I have used this product in an emergency with nitrite and it worked within hours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back