Adding Mature Media To Uncycled Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PERCY

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As the title suggests. Aqua Tom has kindly helped me out by supplying some mature media (ceramic).which I expect will arrive in the next few days.

I did ask Tom this question however he recommended I ask the opinion of all.

I'm trying to make the most of the mature media so I'm wondering if I should add all the media to one filter or split between two?

I'm running 2 tetratec ex1200's with the standard media.

Currently doing a fish in cycle with a pair of kribs

Approx 450 litre tank 5x1.5x2ft

Stats before today's 50% water change

Ammonia 0 -0.25
PH 7.2 ish
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Nothing happening at all as far as I can see

I'm trying to make the most of the mature media so I'm wondering if I should add all the media to one filter or split between two?

IMHO I would split it between the two. I base this purely on the gut feeling that the filter without the media might have to wait until the other filter is fully functioning before it too started to breed it's bacterial colonies since the seeded filter would be taking all the nutrient. Does that make sense?

IMHO I would split it between the two. I base this purely on the gut feeling that the filter without the media might have to wait until the other filter is fully functioning before it too started to breed it's bacterial colonies since the seeded filter would be taking all the nutrient. Does that make sense?

Thats what I was thinking myself TBH. :good:

split it - will kickstart both simultaneously.

Try and position it so that the mature media is first in the water flow - that way bacteria can naturally migrate through and colonise the new stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back