Adding Driftwood To Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what the normal procedures are for adding driftwood into a mature tank? This piece of driftwood was used before but taken out about 12 months ago.

In the past, I would soak the driftwood in a bucket of tank water for a day, not sure if this is the best method?

Thanks

yep you are right, just soak the wood in a bucket of water until it sinks. Then put it in the tank.
You can change the water in the bucket each day if the wood releases tannins (brown discolouration in the water). Once the water stays clean the wood is considered cured.
If the wood doesn't change the colour of the water, or you don't mind the brown discolouration then just wait until it sinks and then put it in the tank :)

yep you are right, just soak the wood in a bucket of water until it sinks. Then put it in the tank.
You can change the water in the bucket each day if the wood releases tannins (brown discolouration in the water). Once the water stays clean the wood is considered cured.
If the wood doesn't change the colour of the water, or you don't mind the brown discolouration then just wait until it sinks and then put it in the tank :)

Thaks for the reply Colin.

The driftwood sunk as soon as I soaked it in the bucket, there does not appear to be any tannins either but I will wait a few more hours before chucking it in the tank.

Thanks again

if it was used before, it should not have any tannins left to leech. My driftwood was brand new when I got my tank about a month ago, and my water is still yellowy brown! lol not as bad as it was at first tho! :p

i had to wait months for a piece of new driftwood i brought to stop releasing tanins, it was so frustrating :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back