adding co2 system-help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

millym

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi,
we have a 37ukg planted tropical been up & going for nearly 4 years. we have decided to take the plunge & add a co2 system. ive bought a nutrafin simple system (uses tablets for the co2) & just need some basic help on what to watch out for when i set this up. ive read pinned topics on co2 & done a search on forum topics & basically with all the ph/kh etc stuff my head is spinning!!!!
i know the co2 will lower the pH - ours is always around 8 because of our tap water, i dont want to harm/upset our fish when i get this going. can someone give me some info,tips & things to watch out for in simple plain language please ( sorry but i feel very THICK :*) everytime i read anything on co2 systems!!!!)
we have 2 airstones & quite a bit of bubbles in our tank - do i really have to get rid of these for the co2 to work???
thanks

hey there ! yes c02 is really confusing ! but its really simple once you get used to it

read this :)

i know you do not want to read anymore but its the only way

there are two things to watch when dosing c02 (i think there are only 2)
1) ph crash - stressfull to fish if the crash is in extremes

2) c02 overdose - you will notice that all your fish are grasping near the surface of the tank for air

Baiscally with c02 you have to take it using small steps :) i suggest dosing c02 then eventually removing all the airstones, and then minimizing surface agitation... you get the point,.... slowly :)

*ps c02 is only really usefull if you have good lighting :)

Most reactions

trending

Back