Adding Co2 In Aquarium

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok Algae is really starting to annoy me now :angry: and need to get on top of it. I have a problem at the moment with sunlight coming through a window which has no blinds on, which is definitely making a small problem into a worse one on sunny days. This will be sorted in next week but I want to also get to the route of the problem.

Now I could go down the chemical route with this seachem stuff but lots of advice on here recommending adding CO2. This is new on me and am happy to buy equipment needed so can someone tell me exactly what I need to get for my Jewel Vision 260.

All help as always appreciated in advance :good:
 
you can spot dose Co2 to kill off the algae it OD's it i think.

for Co2 you could get a pressurized system or liquid Co2, like Easycarbo or on aquaessentials website their own brand which is the same but cheaper ;)
 
what type of setup are you considering? theres your basic nutrafin( about £15) ( set comes with everything you need- and you can make your own mix ,so ecomical)
or then theres the pressurised set ups, these are a lot more complicated of course and i have no advice to offer on them, but if you look thru the hardware part of the forum theres tonnes of advice in there :)

as for the algae you may want to have a look in the planted part, you may get something in there, or use the search function on the bottom of the page :)
i have a tank full of hair algae at the moment so i can sympathise with you
 
what type of setup are you considering? theres your basic nutrafin( about £15) ( set comes with everything you need- and you can make your own mix ,so ecomical)
or then theres the pressurised set ups, these are a lot more complicated of course and i have no advice to offer on them, but if you look thru the hardware part of the forum theres tonnes of advice in there :)

as for the algae you may want to have a look in the planted part, you may get something in there, or use the search function on the bottom of the page :)
i have a tank full of hair algae at the moment so i can sympathise with you

Thanks Shelagh :good: Im not sure what Im planning! Ive come home from a couple of days away and its everywhere so Im basically having a strop :shout: Ive got a tiny bit of black brush, brown dust on the tank sides and now green spreading across the floor :crazy:

Im due a proper clean tomorrow so will remove most of it but I just want to crack down on it. I have some money saved for the aquarium so just want to go for the best set up.
 
Do you have sand substrate by chance? You could get some MTS to clean it up. They will live in the sand during the day and eat your algae during the night.
 
Do you have sand substrate by chance? You could get some MTS to clean it up. They will live in the sand during the day and eat your algae during the night.

I do have sand. Why did you ask that?

I tried to do research on MTS and the opinion seemed to be divided. I must say I quite like the look of them but do they not overrun the tank?
 
No they do not, they will spend all day hidden under the sand and they will emerge when you turn the light out and eat algae/waste and then when you turn the light back on they will go back into the sand. They are nothing like the pond/ramshorn snails.

[URL="http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Melanoi...tuberculata.php"]http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Melanoi...tuberculata.php[/URL]

The link you gave had people talking about quickly getting 400 snails in the tank. Is this ok? Apologies for aksing questions on this as I am happy to get these cos they will create less hassle for me but just checking before introducing them.
 
If you get over run with them, (not very likely), you could always pick a few out and sell them. People are always looking for them.
 
If you get over run with them, (not very likely), you could always pick a few out and sell them. People are always looking for them.

OK final 3 questions (I promise!) ..... How many should I start with? Should I be able to get them for free from an LFS? And number 3 are they all the same or are there different variations of MTS?
 
1: Start with 25 or so.
2: I'm not sure if your lfs will have them or not, you'll have to ask. I bought mine from this site on the classifieds so it doesn't hurt to ask here. I just payed shipping which was like $3 or something.
3: There are a few color variations of MTS but they all are called MTS and they all do the same job.

I bought mine 2 years ago and honestly didn't know if they were still alive or not until I dug up the sand Wednesday. I found 100 or so but I threw them away because I switched my substrate to natural gravel.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top