Adding Boesmani

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gmc1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi.i have 4 three spots along with other smaller community fish in my 300 litre.would adding two male boesmanis be okay?

you need more than two
5 would be the minimum, they're very social

+8 is the ideal but not everyone has the space for that, I'm going to get myself a few more soon enough

Ok thanks.would they be ok with gourami three spots

Not sure. I know some Gouramis have a tendency to hide and be really shy when there are large, active tank mates like Rainbowfish. 

This is not a combination I would suggest.  As 508 mentioned, you need a group, and they are very active fish.  Without knowing the tank size, can't offer much more, but given the largish size (can attain 6 inches, though 4-5 is probably more common in aquaria) of the gourami species you now have, and the sometimes quite pronounced territoriality of the male, you will probably be better with other smallish shoaling fish.  The rasbora group is ideal, and there are some tetra that are quiet.

Byron.

300 litre tank.
4 peppered corys
4 plates
4 three spots
1 molly
5 red nose rummys
2 ammano
5 nerites.

Will prob just add more red nose rummys.great fish.

Definitely. 10 or more rummies in a group look amazing. The cories should be increased as well.

I concur with 508, you absolutely must increase the rummys (this species does not usually fare too well in smaller groups, I aim for 12+) and corys 7 or more would be better.

You have some very different water parameter-requiring fish here.  Rummys are best in soft water, but mollies will not last in this.  They need moderately hard or harder water with a higher pH than what the rummys will be best with.  Depending upon your water parameters (GH particularly) you might want to remove one of these before increasing.

Byron.

i've just bought 6 Boesmani rainbows and they are very active but very good on the eye all shoaled up, got to agree with whats been said though as i had a pair of gouramis and thy both died and im sure it was the terretorial bullying of the swords that stressed them out  as caused it. Decided that although i like gouramis they will have to wait for another tank project.

Ok thanks.it took a while to get correct ratio in my tank before everything settled so wouldn't want to upset that with territorial disputes.i will wait for another tank set up as would like boesmani as main fish in one.

Most reactions

trending

Back