Adding airbubbles to planted tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Voorhee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya i have 75G planted tank. Medium / heavy planted..
setup
75gal
250w ebo jager
160watts lights.. 4xNO lighting
Pressurized Co2 ( 1 bubble a second into filter intake)
fluval 404
powerhead 401 with quickfilter (runs only at night)
100# fine gravel/sand
2 big pieces of driftwood 12#
10# of river rocks
Uv sterilizer on order..

Fish
9 bloodfin tetras
5 neon tetras
4 female bettas
3 julii Corys
2 SAE's
2 otto's
1 flame gouramis
3 neon Dwarf rainbows
2 blue german rams
3 Platy's
1 bushnose pleco

Was wondering if adding my Venturi Tube to my power head a night time would help with lack of oxygen in water over night??

or would this fluctuate the PH to much?

Any suggestions?

Thanks..

heres a blurry picture with no flash..

Attachments

• tank_120.jpg
    tank_120.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 41
Why do you think you are getting low O2 at night? Your tank is not overstocked.

don't plants suck up alot of o2 at night?

daytime they produce O2 and at night absorb it right?

my Co2 shuts off at 10pm and turns on at 10am next day..

was thinking of adding O2 inbetween..

or is it not needed?

Measure your pH just before lights come on and just before lights go off.
As Lateral Line said, you shouldn't get much difference as you aren't heavily stocked. Also I'd say you weren't planted heavily enough for there to be much drop in O2 overnight.

I add CO2 (approx 20 mg/l) with no night shut-off and with no additional oxygenation at night and experience only a change from pH 6.7 (just before lights off) and pH 6.6 (just before lights on). My stocking density is probably higher than yours too so I'd say you shouldn't need the extra oxygenation at all.

Nice tank BTW. HTH

Before you start to worry about CO2, the amount of plants and 2wpg doesnt need CO2?

I know CO2 makes a big difference in plant growth. but under 160W I cant see the need? I have a 30 gallon with 120W and only started with CO2 to get more harder plant to grow..

But try and measure your CO2 since you dont have lots of plant you might notice the CO2 level is well over 45ppm, this is not good but since CO2 doesnt displays O2 in the water you'll only notice the change at night when O2 level lowers. If your water is buffered fairly well the PH drop might only be savely small ie. 7.8-7.2. ( 45ppm at 6.5 could drop your PH to 5.0 overnight)

gf225 said:
Measure your pH just before lights come on and just before lights go off.
As Lateral Line said, you shouldn't get much difference as you aren't heavily stocked. Also I'd say you weren't planted heavily enough for there to be much drop in O2 overnight.

I add CO2 (approx 20 mg/l) with no night shut-off and with no additional oxygenation at night and experience only a change from pH 6.7 (just before lights off) and pH 6.6 (just before lights on). My stocking density is probably higher than yours too so I'd say you shouldn't need the extra oxygenation at all.

Nice tank BTW. HTH
Exactly what I was going to say... :nod:

Most reactions

Back