About to give up !

Mike

Reaction score
I wonder if you could help a novice on the point of giving up tropical fish.

About a year ago I bought a Jewel 180 and set it up. I slowly stocked it over a period of about five months and it now contains:

4 x Angels
3 x Catfish
4 x Rummy noses
4 x Gouramis
8 x Neon Tetras

Everything was fine until about two months ago when over a period of only about two days a thick layer of dark green algea (if thats how you spell it) appeared covering the gravel and plants.

I cleaned the gravel, changed the plants and did a 50% water change. ( I clean the tank every week and do a 30% water change as a basic routine). Within two days the thick gren carpet was back. I repeated the procedure and also replaced all the rocks and bogwood that feature in the tank. Back it came and nothing I do seems to stop it.

I have tried most of the chemicals found at tropical fish shops but nothing works.

This has turned what used to be a pleasing hobby into a weekly two hour chore. The green stuff usually returns in less time than it takes me to do the tank cleaning.

At this point my next move will be to sell my tank and find something more useful to do for two hours on a Saturday morning.

Is there anything that I can do/buy to get rid of this horrible green slime permanently.

Regards

Mike................

Hey Mike read this article on controlling algae. This will get you started on getting that green algae under control. If you need any more help just give a holler. Rose

Hi Mike. I've not much to add to what Rose's already said.
Have you just started using a new water conditioner or such that you haven't used before?(they may have changed the recipie slightly) or them folks in charge could have added something different to the water supply your'e using. Is the tank light on for longer than usual, just fitted a new tube etc.
The solutions probably very simple just follow the link Rose posted and you should have it figured out in no time.
anything else just ask.

Hi mike, Sorry to hear about your troubles. Algae is a total pain when it hit the tank. Read the article Rose has posted, make good note of the notes at the bottom.
It may be hardy to get readings of your water. Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, other, Ph, ammonia etc are also handy but the first three are good at helping for the algae prob. :)

Please tell us your thoughs after reading the article, we'ed hate to see you give it up after all the effort and stuff you've put into it 8)

Davy

Thanks for your help but I am even more confused now !.

Changed 50% water as usual on Saturday morning and cleaned the thick layer of green gunge off the gravel.

Sunday morning green gunge already returning so off to the shop to get the test kits. Results are as follows:

1. Ph level according to colour chart supplied with kit indicates "ideal conditions"
2. Nitrate level according to colour chart supplied with kit indicates "ideal conditions"
3. Ammonia level according to colour chart supplied with kit indicates "ideal conditions"

Sunday afternoon sat in despare looking at the green gunge creeping further across the bottom of the tank.

Regards

Mike......

What exactly is the nitrAte reading that you are getting are you sure it is not a nitrIte test kit?

I don't know why you have the green gunge if the nitrate is ideal. but i would reccomend getting a common ancistrus (better than plecos cause they are more active) or two or three otos.  The otos will eat algae at a rate of knots although I don't know if they will eat your type although i reckon they probably would...  Your tank currently doesn't have any algae eaters so they will help to keep it clean.  Or you could try and get some plants which will use up the nitrates the algae uses - i recommend elodea densa a fast growing plant.  So i think get some plants, and i am not sure about your tank size but if you have room get a common ansistrus or bristlenosed pleco OR two or three ottos (onlyif tank is over 20gallons ottos need space)

William

Oh Oh and how many hours do u leave the light on per day. Is the tank near a window?

Well Mike it sounds like we need to dig deep. On top of these readings I suggest you do a Phosphate test as well.

The readings from your test.. Can you tell us the figures you got. Even slight readings can have an effect, although the test kits might say they are fine :)
Right others things, Test your tap water too, see if there is any diffrence from the tank. Did you test the water straight after the water change or on the sunday?
IS there any sunlight getting onto the tank, and like William asked what light do you use, including wattage, and how long is it on for?
What do you feed your fish and how much, and often?
What type of plants do you have, if you know them, how many?
How often you you clean the filter, and how dirty is is?
Is it just the standard media you have in the filter?
How hots the tank?
Emm thats it for now, The others might ask something I've not. :D

Just a couple of things to try. When you next do a water change try leaving the tank in darkness(that is don't put the light on for a couple of days) If the tank gets a lot of sunlight that'll be the problem as the algae seems to be appearing more quickly than it should. If you're not sure then try covering the tank. It won't affect the fish or any plants as it's only for a short while. Also you could try missing out on the first feed or two after you change the tank water( try that the following week. It wont neccisarily solve the problem but should help to point in the right direction if we don't get there sooner. An algae eater might be a solution but if the problem is bad you'd need a few.

The thing with green algae is if you have a lot of it and can't control it you have too much light, too much nitrAtes and/ or too much Phosphates. Green algae will thrive on those things. I have been here done this and this is what I did for one of my tanks.

I did 50% water changes every 2 days for 1 week. I did a gravel vaccum 2x that week. I kept the tank wraped in a beach blanket for 1 week and fed the tank every 2-3 days.

This is what I do to that same tank now. I only turn the lights on for 4-6hrs a day. 50% water change every week. 50% gravel cleaning each week. I have 18X turn over rate on this tank (water gets totally filtered 18x in one hour). I clean the filter every month and add new carbon at that time as well. (I don't have plants in this tank due to the fact that the fish in this tank will eat them). I now feed this tank every other or every couple of days. Been doing this for a year now and haven't lost any fish. (In the wild fish don't eat every day so not feeding them for a few days won't hurt them at all.)

That's just something you might consider doing. Rose 8)

Thanks to all of you for being so interested in my problem.

I am still confused but I will be honest and say that because of the help and interest shown by people that I do not know I have decided to hang on in there for the moment and try again. There is hope in mankind yet !. (At least in the people that keep tropical fish).

Anyway a few more answers to the questions asked.

I checked the list of fish that I mentioned I had in my tank and I missed out 1 x pretty plec. This little boy is quite happy swimming around and cleaning the very small amounts of algae that appear on the glass but it will not go near the green gunge. (And I dont blame it).

Other things:

1. No my tank is not near any windows.
2. Yes it is planted with about 20 plants (Exact type unknown as I have been changing them on a monthly basis due to the green gunge all over them).
3. They are fed every evening with dry flake.
4. The lighting is on from 10am to 10pm
5. The tank has the standard Jewel internal filter fitted. I think it is the compact 'H'. I change the white filter every week when I change the water. It is usually clogged by this time. I change the carbon filter sponge every month. I change the fine and course sponges every three months alternating between the top sponges and the bottom sponges. All are usually pretty dirty when I change them.
6. The tank temp is 24deg.
7. Each week when I change the water I vacume the gravel as well.
8. When I did the tests I had changed the water on the Saturday morning and the tests were carried out on the Sunday morning, 25hrs later.

The really frustrating thing about all this is the wife wanted a small hexagonal ornimental tank in the dining room so I got her one at the same time as I got my Jewel 180. It has a small under gravel filter, there are no living plants in it, (all the plants are plastic), I do not do water changes, the fish in it are fed the same food at the same time every day as my fish and about every two months I clean the very small amounts of fine green algae off the glass. The tank and fish in it look perfect as a tropical fish tank should.

Perhaps I should swap tanks with the wife ?.
(Or is that swap the tank for another wife) ?.

Anyway back to work now and a rest away from the green gunge.

Thanks

Mike......

Yes Davy not a problem.

I was born along time ago in Ireland.

My parents moved over to England when I was very young and luckily for me they brought me along with them.

I lived in Bolton, Lancashire until I joined the Royal Air Force and moved away.

When I left the Royal Air Force I went to live in Blackpool.

Monday to Friday I work away from home either at the office in the East Midlands or any of the following:- Finland, France, Germany, USA, Honk Kong. Then back home for the week end.

Rather more information than you need I suspect Davy but anyway now you know my life story as well ?.

I think you want to know where the tank is located and that would be at home in Blackpool.

Regards

Mike...........

Sound like your passports been stamped a few times then :D

It was just on the off chance a house call could happen, but your a tad far :what:

I'll read through the posts again to see what my brain comes up with :music:

Mike.
I'd say cut down drasticly on the lenght of time the light is on. Maybe just for a few hours at night. And if the filter is realy clogged after a week it's not the best for the job. It may be an idea to change some of your equiptment.

On a lighter note seeing as we have a hardware/ classified section why don't we have one for getting rid of spouses. :laugh:

Yes I think it would be worth while cutting down the length of time the light is on to cut things down a bit.

On the filter side, If it's really cloged, after a week something needs done, but is the dirt in the filter mainly from the fish, the plants, or the algae :what:

More question I know :p Can I ask what type of bulb you use plus the wattage and lenght?
Have you got the right results of the test please, plus it's still handy to get a Phosphate one. If you don't want to buy more kits, take a sample to a local shop and ask them to do it, it should only cost a £1 or near that. Get the right results from them, not that 'yes sir your waters fine' :)

Most reactions

Back