A really stupid question!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if my water changes ain't stressing out my fish.

I let the water stand a day or two and add Prime prior to doing the change. But my tank is around 78 deg f. whereas the water feels much cooler than that (which is odd as our a/c isn't ever lower than 75). Anyway, to the touch the water in the change bowl feels cool where the tank water feels warm.

How do people overcome this, esp those of you with large tanks?!?

I know the answer is gonna make me feel really silly. :grumpy: :grumpy:

you dont let it sit. as long as you add a water conditioner your fine using the water strait out of the tap. R

Well, ok then. So fill with warmer water out of the tap.

Those conditioners work instantly, eh? I have Prime and it doesn't say how fast it works. Neither does the Stress Coat stuff which I don't use anymore.

Thx.

If you are concerned, you can always do what I do. ie. have a thermometer and test you new water. 1 or 2 degrees downwards won't stress you fish too greatly.This of course depends on the % of the water change you are performing. The greater the amount of water replacement the nearer the normal tank temp. you should aim for. I use stress coat and tap water conditioner and stress zyme when I do water changes, also because I have so many live plants I also add a liquid fertiliser for the plants too. It may not be doing any good, but I find that it does'nt do any harm either. The water quality and chem. composition is'nt altered by these additives.The fishes that I have which is nearly 100(too many really) enjoy the change. Mind you because of the filter I have I only do a water change once a month and that is only about 20%. I do test my water composition regurarly for ammonia, nitrates,nitrites and PH. If there are sudden peaks, I do a change of water-generally though the filtration system works very well and everything a hunky dory.

Yup... Straight out of the tap for my water changes too!!

Prime is a very good conditioner, but I use a product by a fairly new company called Mydor. It's called Dechlor-eaze.

Highly concentrated...use 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. I buy the stuff by the gallon jug.

Thanks all. I'd never thought of adding water from the warm tap but will do so now!

BTW: I see our sturgeon surgeon has accepted this moniker. I never did learn how things ended up with that pregnant fish...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back