A Question To The Reef Owner

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I used Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix. Not gonna lie, it's expensive, but I've been very pleased with the consistency of my reefs and the quality of salt of each bucket. It's designed for people who use RO/DI water though. When I keep my salinity at 1.026, and with the water changes I typically do in my picos, I've not yet had to dose anything supplemental and I keep sps corals in two systems. Inverts shed regularly and the process is good.

L

Awesome. I'm planning to use RO/DI water, so that sounds perfect. But as you said it's expensive :/ I'll keep it in mind though.
If anyone uses a cheaper (whilst still effective) reef salt i'd love to know

I tried a few varieties of salt and TBH you get what you pay for.

I found that the cheaper salts can give you lower than expected levels of some of the necessary elements (esp. calcium, magnesium). You then need to add these back in so end up spending as much on supplements as you would have done on the better quality salt in the first place!

I like the same as LLJ but also had success with the Deltec H2Ocean.

I also use Red Sea Coral Pro. Its the best out there. Instant Ocean is another good one, and less expensive.

Kent was the one that I stopped using because it was so deficient.

Haven't use the other so can't comment.

I found it very low in potassium so I had major problems maintaining calcium levels...

but it has been several years since I used it - who knows they may have fixed the problem by now as it was quite well publicised at the time.

I was gonna say, looking at some reviews on thereeftank the general consensus seems to be that it's rather good.
I'll have to ask some of my friends that have reef/marine if they've had experience with the Kent marine salt :good:

Id go either Red Sea Coral Pro or TMC Pro Reef.

Id go either Red Sea Coral Pro or TMC Pro Reef.
As above, i'd like to use red sea coral pro, but it's too expensive, and upon looking at TMC Pro Reef, thats too expensive aswell. At the moment, it's between instantocean or Kent marine reef salt, as they're only about £35 for 25kg as opposed to £55 for 23kg :good:
Does anyone use or have heard of Crystal Sea Marine Mix?. Doesn't sound that bad

Gonna break the trend :- I use reef crystals (not instant ocean) and to be honest I wouldn't change it, mostly due to the water prams on my system staying very stable without having to dose ca or mg etc, yes they are expensive but it's well worth the extra, however that said I have seen kent marine salt used in bigger systems without a problem, with kent marine though everything seems very week in concentration from their trace elements to their salt etc so just a word if warning from experience

As for crystal sea don't do it, the price alone says it all I recall reading on a forum (possibly here) that some one had a system crash due to using it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back