A Question On Aquarium Salt

Sweetheart

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I might get a 55 gallon tank for a percula clown fish in the future, and I was wandering how much aquarium salt to put it the tank water. And when do I add more aquarium salt in the future and how much?

I might get a 55 gallon tank for a percula clown fish in the future, and I was wandering how much aquarium salt to put it the tank water. And when do I add more aquarium salt in the future and how much?

hey congrats. each mix will give an amount.. usualy about 1/2 cup to a gallon (us gallons that is) if you plan on only fish you can keep it around 1.021 sg up to 1.026sg if you plan on having corals then you would want it more in the 1.023sg to 1.026 sg (spacific gravity) you will initially need more salt if you are planning on using live rock.. for the curing time... you will want to do a large water change once it has completed to bring the nitrates down. after that depending on the size of aquarium you choose you will want to do between a 10% - 20% water change every one to 2 weeks.... depends on size and bioload of the tank. also you will need a hydrometer or a refractometer to test your sg so you can alter it to your needs. hope this helps

You need to add as much salt as is required to get the salt level (salinity) up to a specific point, around 1.024 like Nalaundi said.
Then once the salinity is correct you don't add any more salt to the actual tank. But you do partial water changes on the tank using salt water that has been made up at least 24 hours before you use it. You need to make the water up in a container, get the salinity correct and have the whole lot aerate for at least 24 hours. Then you can drain some of the tank water out and replace it with the freshly made seawater.

Every few days you need to check the salinity on the tank and if it is going up (due to evaporation) you add some freshwater to bring it back down to where it should be. Most people put a line on the tank at the water level when it is first set up. Then they add enough freshwater to fill the tank back up to the line.
If you have coverglass on the tank then less water will evaporate and you won't have to top it up as often.

Just checking...you do know that you need Marine/Saltwater salt...and NOT the popular regular old aquarium salt, right?

Okay thanks for the answers. No i didn't know not to use aquarium salt, thanks for asking me. I am planning on having live coral in the tank too. I am so exited, I've never had a saltwater tank before, only freshwater. One more question, when do I add more salt to the tank water? and do I add as much salt as I did in the first place?

Okay thanks for the answers. No i didn't know not to use aquarium salt, thanks for asking me. I am planning on having live coral in the tank too. I am so exited, I've never had a saltwater tank before, only freshwater. One more question, when do I add more salt to the tank water? and do I add as much salt as I did in the first place?

Read, Read and Read some more...you need to really educate yourself on this side of the hobby, mistakes can turn out to be expensive. Check out the journals of your predecessors in the saltwater section and learn from them, adopt a Guru on this forum, someone you know you can trust and has been there and done that. Doing things this way means you can keep setbacks to a minimum. Do the research first. Good luck with your venture into marines.
Regards
BigC

Read, Read and Read some more...you need to really educate yourself on this side of the hobby, mistakes can turn out to be expensive. Check out the journals of your predecessors in the saltwater section and learn from them, adopt a Guru on this forum, someone you know you can trust and has been there and done that. Doing things this way means you can keep setbacks to a minimum. Do the research first. Good luck with your venture into marines.
Regards
BigC

Okay thanks

I'm glad I asked you if you knew about the salt... It's great your asking questions before you bought the fish.

One book that I have found to be really helpful so far is The New Marine Aquarium Step by Step Setup and Stocking Guide by Michael S Paletta. It gives a lot of great/awesome basic info. :good: I'm reading it right now.

Check out other resources from here:

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Marine-a...m-of-Knowledge/

You need to add as much salt as is required to get the salt level (salinity) up to a specific point, around 1.024 like Nalaundi said.
Then once the salinity is correct you don't add any more salt to the actual tank

Substitute specific gravity for salinity above. Salinity is a percentage. Specific gravity is as above....how much more dense measured against water. SH

Okay thanks Kg, it is helpful to ask what you can't find on google.

Most reactions

Back