A Query About Upside Down Catfish

VickyAndJulieDorset

Reaction score
HI Everyone, I wonder if anyone can help. I recently bought a new addition to my tank, it was labelled as an "upside down catfish" although I have never seen it go to the surface yet, no swim upside down..is this because it may still be to young? I also asked the guy who served me about whether they were better in a small shoal or on their own. He said they are fine on their own. I have however read that they are a shoaling fish, should I go back to the shop and buy my catfish a companion or two or will this cause problems as he (or she) is settling in (only been there 48 hours)?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Are you able to upload a pic? then we can make sure that you have purchased an upside down catfish and not one of the other synodontis species that may well grow much larger. upside catfish usually spend most of their time upside down, usually balancing on the underside of a leaf or filter box,

Thats what happened to me I was thinking today, In my sons tank is a supposed upside down cat and we've had him about 8 months however he is about 4 inches now and showing signs of feather fin catfish on the dorsal. I hope not as it'll be too big for his tank aand I don't want him in mine as I've had a large one in the past and he harrassed a royal plec I had

Is it just the eupterus syndontis that has the feather fin on doesal

Upside_down_catfish.jpg

This is the best pic I have got at the mo. He tends to hide under the bog wood and is well camoflaged to diffcult to spot him properly, he is quite often upside down as far as I can tell! will try and get some better photos asap

that looks like a juvenile fetherfin, i have one the same and one about 4''and they do spend a lot of time upsiddown
i have an usd cat as welland they get on alright together

Most reactions

Back