A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

Any pics? :wub: :fish::wub:
None recently of note. They are pretty quick.

SPOILER, long overdue spilling of my tank and fish woes and concerns coming up...
NoW:

Long story, but they, the rainbows now have a whole 20g to themselves. I'll be moving in a troop of RCS to help with detritus and general mood quality ☆

I also have 6 minnow fry about 1 month old that I'll add, MAYBE. I still cant sex these, so that is to be considered also as far as where to put them. I'd rather put the 6 minnows in a 10g with my 2 Amano. I'd love a 2m/4f ! Wouldn't that be a coup?

BuT...the 10g tank is currently full of 10 minnows and 3 CPDs. These are fish that I have treated for various illness(es). Some have improved. A few died. They aren't suffering, and at first glance they look fine. No fights, great appetite, no one isolating at top or bottom corner. None have died for the month.
It's just like an awful holding pattern. I can tell up close that there are definite problems. At one time recently I was juggling 3 quarantine tanks along with my regulars. Couldn't handle it so I got the 10g situation in stasis.
I am also worried if my shrimp are now at risk. Stresses me out, but things don't always line up.

Must research breeding mops.
Thanks for reading the madness of my past month. I feel better now.

None recently of note. They are pretty quick.

SPOILER, long overdue spilling of my tank and fish woes and concerns coming up...
NoW:

Long story, but they, the rainbows now have a whole 20g to themselves. I'll be moving in a troop of RCS to help with detritus and general mood quality ☆

I also have 6 minnow fry about 1 month old that I'll add, MAYBE. I still cant sex these, so that is to be considered also as far as where to put them. I'd rather put the 6 minnows in a 10g with my 2 Amano. I'd love a 2m/4f ! Wouldn't that be a coup?

BuT...the 10g tank is currently full of 10 minnows and 3 CPDs. These are fish that I have treated for various illness(es). Some have improved. A few died. They aren't suffering, and at first glance they look fine. No fights, great appetite, no one isolating at top or bottom corner. None have died for the month.
It's just like an awful holding pattern. I can tell up close that there are definite problems. At one time recently I was juggling 3 quarantine tanks along with my regulars. Couldn't handle it so I got the 10g situation in stasis.
I am also worried if my shrimp are now at risk. Stresses me out, but things don't always line up.

Must research breeding mops.
Big hugs, that's a lot of stress and juggling. Hopefully things will continue to improve. On é resolved you'll have plenty of space in the 20G and could do species only in your 10G so it'll be your dream come true :wub: I love the idea of turning my 16G into species only. Maybe even going to the effort of RO water and getting a Betta :wub:

Will I put my wish list here for stock or in another forum for more input?

@AdoraBelle Dearheart do you've black sand in your Cory tank? I just spotted on another thread. I'm really in two minds in sand. I love the look of dark sand but Argos sand is €5.50 for 15kg.
Oh, something I forgot to mention- substrate syphoning with this sand vs Argos sand... this sand is pretty heavy, comparatively. When I'm syphon cleaning it, even if some goes into the tube bit (what is that called? The bell jar, head, something?) pausing the flow lets it fall back down again, it rarely goes all the way through and into the bucket unless I'm really careless. I think the play sand is smaller and lighter and easier to suck up, but I've never used it so might be wrong! @FishBearer9845 said she has the playsand, how do you find it for substrate cleaning, @FishBearer9845?

On the other hand, even if you sucked up loads, you can get it from the bucket and put it back, and it's also cheap to replace :)
As for larger or more aggressive fish, I would avoid those with these fish mentioned, most barb species tend to be a little nippy and aggressive at times so it’s possible that they may be fine with these but I’ve never kept them myself so I cannot speak from experience here so am unsure 100%.

But my general feeling is, since Odessas are pretty much double the size of CPDs and the aforementioned fish species and plus the fact that they need to be in groups of at least 8, I think they may make the smaller fish a bit more skittish/nervous but that’s just a general feeling.

Am hoping someone who keeps or has kept these Odessas may chime in with their 2 penny’s worth.
@mbsqw1d got some recently! What do you think? I wonder also since they need a certain school size and they're relatively large whether they'd even be possible in a 34 gallon tank, especially with so many different fish. @Russjw also has odessas
I'm so sorry, it sounds so rough! I've just gone through a similar stretch. Losing fish to worms, a month of medicating, then finding out my new plants were contaminated with pesticides once my shrimp began dying off, so having to rush to set up a clean tank for the rest of the colony and still hoping that enough survive to repopulate. Couldn't do anything fun with the tanks for the month of treating them, and it was a lot of work and sadness, making the tanks feel like a chore and a lost cause, you know? Spates of illness or problems like that are awful, but they do pass. I wanted to give up the hobby and shut down the tanks at one point, but now I'm out the other side for the most part, I'm loving it again and the fish are well, so it's enjoyable and not a chore anymore. Why not make a thread and work out a plan of action with some help and ask any questions you have? It's what the forum is for, and it helps so much to vent and get advice from other hobbyists rather than doing it all alone:friends:

But even if you don't want to do that, I'm glad you got it off your chest now, sending cyber hugs if wanted!

@mbsqw1d got some recently! What do you think? I wonder also since they need a certain school size and they're relatively large whether they'd even be possible in a 34 gallon tank, especially with so many different fish.
My Odessa are still very young really and not close to full size and they already make me nervous!
Seangee flat out said that I couldn't have CPDs with them before I got the Odessa.
Barbs are very active and need a lot of space, but not only that, you need to have at least 10 of them or else other fish fall victim to their aggression. Mines a 53 gallon and even that seems too small for them tbh.

Neither sound suited to my tank. Here's where I'm at planning stock wise as discussed here:

Platies x 9
Endlers x10
Fintail blue eyed rainbow fish x 10.
L129 Pleco x1.
Turquoise Danio x 8
Celestial Pearl Danio x 8
Molly lyretail black x 3

With the Argos sand I’m careful to not suck up too much, I’d say most falls back down though if I do a deep clean. Circling over the top it works fine and doesn’t really lift any out. Any that does, to be quite honest it’s so little I just wash it down the plug hole and replace any if I feel like it needs it (maybe an American cup full every couple weeks) but considering the bag is plentiful and so cheap I don’t find it a problem. When I first bought sand I paid £4.99 per 2 kg bag and it was apparently Caribbean ‘silver sand’. I’ll be damned if I can tell the difference in grain size and colour (and I’ve had my eyes lasered) plus, and the most important bit, the corys love it and ssssccchhhhnnuuuffflllee all day long. I certainly won’t stop using it!

With the Argos sand I’m careful to not suck up too much, I’d say most falls back down though if I do a deep clean. Circling over the top it works fine and doesn’t really lift any out. Any that does, to be quite honest it’s so little I just wash it down the plug hole and replace any if I feel like it needs it (maybe an American cup full every couple weeks) but considering the bag is plentiful and so cheap I don’t find it a problem. When I first bought sand I paid £4.99 per 2 kg bag and it was apparently Caribbean ‘silver sand’. I’ll be damned if I can tell the difference in grain size and colour (and I’ve had my eyes lasered) plus, and the most important bit, the corys love it and ssssccchhhhnnuuuffflllee all day long. I certainly won’t stop using it!
It is a much better grain sized sand for cories than the 'aquarium' sand i have now. I had it in a tank over 10 years ago and the cories could really dig around in it and properly filter feed through it. If only it was a little bit darker in colour

Neither sound suited to my tank. Here's where I'm at planning stock wise as discussed here:

Platies x 9
Endlers x10
Fintail blue eyed rainbow fish x 10.
L129 Pleco x1.
Turquoise Danio x 8
Celestial Pearl Danio x 8
Molly lyretail black x 3
Not sure if you appreciate just how small CPDs are. An adult female endler is more the twice the length of an adult CPD. IMO none of those fish are suitable tankmates for CPD - sorry.

Not sure if you appreciate just how small CPDs are. An adult female endler is more the twice the length of an adult CPD. IMO none of those fish are suitable tankmates for CPD - sorry.
Ah ok. Would that be the same for the Turquoise Danio? As in maybe I should forget about Danios for this tank.

Most reactions

Back