A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@mbsqw1d @itiwhetu :good:

That is actually brilliant information, have been wondering whether to start Co2 on my new tank (not set up yet) but was not keen on using fire extinguisher Co2 with regulators and atomiser etc method as its fairly expensive and last time I used that method I had hair algae issue, which to be fair think was down to the lights I had at the time, too much WPL and too intense.
But still kind of put me off anyway tbh.

So this method, the citric acid & bicarb sounds good, and with perhaps that chamber you linked as not to be an eyesore instead of a old plastic bottle on the side of the tank if that make sense.

Though will need to research more into that as my new tank is 180l / 45 gals so need to find out how much ingredients needed and how long each dosage lasts and if need drop checker etc to see if its worthwhile just as a sort of supplement boost of Co2 with the usual ferts and pretty much standard lights but with Aquael Led retrofit tubes as I've used the smaller versions before and really like those for the low/med plants.

Sorry @AilyNC for hijacking your thread a bit, this is great information for me and I love learning new stuff :book:

@mbsqw1d @itiwhetu :good:

That is actually brilliant information, have been wondering whether to start Co2 on my new tank (not set up yet) but was not keen on using fire extinguisher Co2 with regulators and atomiser etc method as its fairly expensive and last time I used that method I had hair algae issue, which to be fair think was down to the lights I had at the time, too much WPL and too intense.
But still kind of put me off anyway tbh.

So this method, the citric acid & bicarb sounds good, and with perhaps that chamber you linked as not to be an eyesore instead of a old plastic bottle on the side of the tank if that make sense.

Though will need to research more into that as my new tank is 180l / 45 gals so need to find out how much ingredients needed and how long each dosage lasts and if need drop checker etc to see if its worthwhile just as a sort of supplement boost of Co2 with the usual ferts and pretty much standard lights but with Aquael Led retrofit tubes as I've used the smaller versions before and really like those for the low/med plants.

Sorry @AilyNC for hijacking your thread a bit, this is great information for me and I love learning new stuff :book:
Happy to jump on another thread if you want to kick one off? I'm still learning too!

No need @Ch4rlie this is learning for me too :thumbs:

Got a very big rock creating a cliff now. I'm gonna leave scape alone now with only minor adjustments when root sinks.

I reckon I could try the baking soda & citric acid method :) be fun to try anyway.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200930_111738.jpg
    MVIMG_20200930_111738.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 61
No need @Ch4rlie this is learning for me too :thumbs:

Got a very big rock creating a cliff now. I'm gonna leave scape alone now with only minor adjustments when root sinks.

I reckon I could try the baking soda & citric acid method :) be fun to try anyway.
Tank is looking so good! I can easily imagine it all grown out, it's already beautiful, going to be really stunning soon! :wub:

Tank is looking so good! I can easily imagine it all grown out, it's already beautiful, going to be really stunning soon! :wub:

Thank you. I need to stop fussing over it now & let it grow. I've move limnophila sessiliflora behind the bonsai & cliff and hoping for a background forest look. In my head it works :rofl:

The left side should fill in nicely too. The Azalea has lovely spidery look to it's thinner branches that a plant can grow between. I think a Pleco can make a cave there, under the small driftwood far left, or in around the rocks.

Hard to know how fish will interact with the space but it'll be nice to see.

The swords have really grown in a short amount of time, haven't they!

The tree is awesome, totally worth the time and effort!

Gorgeous :wub:

The swords have really grown in a short amount of time, haven't they!

The tree is awesome, totally worth the time and effort!

Gorgeous :wub:
Oh no they're a new Sword. Echinodorus Bleherae. The Echinodorus 'Reni' gas actually friend quite a few new red leaves & is shedding it's taller green ones. I think that's normal when planted in Aquarium. In the older pic you're seeing Hygrophila corymbosa that have since been moved towards the back more. They actually have a few new leaves too. Everything except my java Fern gas definite new leaves.

So I decided to vac out the gross rotting food as Ammonia wasn't changing. And go silent cycle. I did water change & vac on day 13. Day 14 I'd no ammonia but nitrite. Day 15 I've no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate is 10-15ppm (I've subtracted 20ppm as this tap water levels).

Do I wait a few days before adding a half dozen small fish? Or does the bacteria need an ammonia source today?

Results:

29.09 & 7pm DAY 13

*****80 litre water change*****

30.09 @2pm DAY 14

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 1.5ppm
GH 13

*****Added 2.5mls Seachem Flourish Comp & 10 root tabs*****

01.10 @12:30pm DAY 15

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-15ppm

With a silent cycle, you should not see ammonia or nitrite. All you need to do is wait until the plants are obviously growing, then get the first batch of fish. Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite until you are sure they are staying at zero before getting the next batch.

Have you finished planting now or are there more plants to come? If you plan on more, I'd wait till all the plants are in so you don't disturb the fish.

Most reactions

Back