A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Retired Viking any advice on silent cycle? I've plenty of plants coming but can't get hold of ammonium.

I don't want to use anything from the current tank because the fish have worms & ich.

I saw a few posts here advising against that but it seems likely my best option, with plants & SafeStart.
It isn't the best method to do the whole cycling process, but it'll at least get your cycle started while you're waiting for ammonia.

Was about to suggest you seed the new filter using the media from your current tank, then remembered that you're still dealing with worms and ich :( So best not do a seeded cycle this time.

I'm sorry you're having a rough go of things again. If anyone deserves a break from dealing with aquarium crises, it's you! You've just been unlucky and were poorly guided in the beginning, so you're still dealing with the after effects, but you'll get through this too! I know it sucks though when you just want to crack on with the new set up.

I'd emptied one tank and bought another one just before I spotted worms in my fish too, and I hated leaving them empty and untouched for that month or so of treatment. But once that was over, it was fun again, and the new set up was worth the wait. You'll get there too!

I'm pretty happy just staring at the empty tank :rofl: it'll be lovely with plants in it. I'll throw some food in today & safe start. Then I'll go hunt through the hardware shops around the city. Surely someone stocks ammonia cleaner. I don't like the idea if food sitting there rotting but I'll get over it for the sake of few days or a week.

I'd definitely go the route of cycling with plants if I were you...even if I had access to ammonia. I'm sorry if you've mentioned this already, I haven't had time to fully keep up on this thread - what plants do you plan to have in there? Any fast growers, especially floating plants? Will it be moderately to heavily planted?

When I do my silent cycles I do not use ammonia, I plant the tank and after a week or two you should notice some growth in you plants. You can add fertilizer if you wish. At this point I add my first fish. I usually add a small shoal of 6 tetras or guppies. Test the water for ammonia after a week and if still 0 I add the next group of fish. If you are adding larger fish you may want to add fewer. This of course depends on how big a tank, how many fast growing plants you have and the number and size of the fish you add. Some try and do it faster, the important thing to keep in mind is to not overstock the tank. You need to maintain a balance between what waste the fish produce and what your plants can absorb. I have not lost a fish doing my cycles this way.

Why is it expensive to post to Ireland, I’ve never understood this.

Please excuse my ignorance as I’ve not been to Ireland before and nor have I posted anything to there either.

I'd definitely go the route of cycling with plants if I were you...even if I had access to ammonia. I'm sorry if you've mentioned this already, I haven't had time to fully keep up on this thread - what plants do you plan to have in there? Any fast growers, especially floating plants? Will it be moderately to heavily planted?
Sorry it's a very long thread but I love to chat :hyper: :rofl:

Plants due hopefully tomorrow are:

Java Fern
Java Moss
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Christmas Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana Christmas)
Echinodorus (can't remember variety as it was substitute for out of stock one)
Riccia fluitans In-Vitro
Hygrophila corymbosa
Limnophila sessiliflora

The Christmas Moss is for a bonsai tree driftwood piece.

I've Amazing Sword, Wisteria, Elodea, Anubis &
Alternanthera in my ich & worm tank :/

I'm pretty happy just staring at the empty tank :rofl: it'll be lovely with plants in it. I'll throw some food in today & safe start. Then I'll go hunt through the hardware shops around the city. Surely someone stocks ammonia cleaner. I don't like the idea if food sitting there rotting but I'll get over it for the sake of few days or a week.
What ferts do you have for the plants?

Why is it expensive to post to Ireland, I’ve never understood this.

Please excuse my ignorance as I’ve not been to Ireland before and nor have I posted anything to there either.

I've no idea. That's why I use Amazon.co.uk so much as they do free delivery. But some items they can't deliver to Ireland and Dr Tims ammonia is one.

If the Plant Cycle is a good option I really like the sound of it. Definitely a slow and steady growth. I really love plants so if I need more than in my list above I can add more.

What ferts do you have for the plants?

I have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive & Flourish Root Tabs. Haven't added any yet as tank only has substrate, filters and heater.

I have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive & Flourish Root Tabs. Haven't added any yet as tank only has substrate, filters and heater.

Ah right ok. If you do a planted cycle, the Seachem flourish doesn't dose nitrogen or phosphate as it is presumed that there are fish (ammonia) being fed (phosphate). If you planted the tank now and started dosing flourish and adding fish food, you'd be providing everything the plants need, and kicking off the cycle

Ah right ok. If you do a planted cycle, the Seachem flourish doesn't dose nitrogen or phosphate as it is presumed that there are fish (ammonia) being fed (phosphate). If you planted the tank now and started dosing flourish and adding fish food, you'd be providing everything the plants need, and kicking off the cycle

Would I need to regularly add food?

Most reactions

Back