A little strange, but I don’t know where else to figure this out. Tw: doctors

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
People in the US:

Do any of you know if I, a minor, have any way to go see my doctor for an issue I’m having (I’m not pregnant I promise) without my parents knowing at least until afterwards? They know about my issue I’m having, but they aren’t taking me to the doctor and I feel like I need to go. I don’t want to get them in trouble, they just want me to try supplements and such so they aren’t being abusive, I just don’t feel like the supplements are helping. I know I could probably get my grandma or a close friend to actually take me to the building, but because I’m connected to my parents account they will know. I’m also concerned about paying for the tests I think I need. I’m pretty sure we have some kind of health insurance, but I don’t know what kind. I’m sorry if this is weird, I just don’t know what else to do.

Mods, please delete if not allowed, I checked the rules and I don’t think I’m breaking any by asking, but if I am I apologize.

teledoc might be an option too. If you need bloodwork that always seems to take a prescription - at least for thyroid.

Call or visit the doctor and explain the situation to the staff at the counter. They might be able to let you chat with your doctor and not inform the parents.
That's a good idea!
The doctors may try to help you for free...

Once school starts you can talk to a school counselor. If not, see if there’s someone else who could take you to a walk in clinic. At 13 they can’t give away any of your records to your parents unless they think you’re an immediate danger to yourself

Extremely unlikely, the US medical system is too corrupt
There are medical clinics that are staffed by volunteers including volunteer doctors and can probably help. But if you need a lab test or medication you probably will need to pay for than unless it is something simple they can do in the office like insulin or clotting tests. My sister did volunteer for a while after finishing megical school before getting her first job at a clinic

Try and talk to your parents too. When things are not too busy let them know the supplements aren't working and tell them what you would like to happen. If you speak calmly they will be more likely to listen (an emotional outburst can be dismissed but a reasonable discussion should give them something to think about).
If this is too difficult, get a trusted adult to help mediate. In the long run you will need your parents on board.

My first reaction was as a Canadian teacher, in a country where everyone has their care covered at any age. That 'pay for' is really a freedom crusher in your situation. Yikes.

Still, schools should have nurses or guidance departments that will have seen similar problems before. Here, as of 14, your parents are only informed of medical things with your consent, but there, who knows. The answer to that is probably a person working in a school, with kids, every day.

You would be surprised how many kids share your situation - you aren't alone. I've seen a few variations on what you're describing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back