A Guide To Inbreeding Livebearers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
đŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! 🩎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
There are many ways of dealing with inbreeding for example keeping large Numbers outside in ponds is almost like a natural environment, when kept in large Numbers inbreeding of the fish are not a problem, the adult fish have more of a choice to pick from meaning that not all mattings will not be too closely related of brother to sister, also mattings among the different generations can only be good for the fish and can improve the gene pool, inbreeding can and do occur in the wild.  Unrelated or related fish can sometimes produce weak or sick offspring, in the wild nature takes care of such problems there will always be Predatory fish or creatures that prey on the vulnerable its survival of the fittest.
in the home aquarium inbreeding can easily be controlled you can expect to get good healthy Guppies from inbreeding them, one method I use is to run to tanks of the same Guppies let them flock breed, once every few years mix from both tanks this method works very well, or select the best male and female to breed from,
 Or simply run one tank let them flock breed and when or if needed remove any deformed or sick fish,
 By using this simple guide inbreeding Guppies /is not problem, and just to mention Guppies are not to over breed and weakened by too much inbreeding continued inbreeding side of it as very little to do with the stat of some of Guppies/tropical fish that are sold these days. Many farm breed strains are weaker caused by incorrect use of antibiotics hormones and many other factors causing health problems,
Always breed or from good stock remove any weak sick or deformed fry/fish,
Soon I will post some picks of old strains of guppy’s/Livebearers that’s been around for many years,

One would think that inbreeding is always a bad thing and surely it must be in livebearers based on the thread title. And I confess. I used to think the same thing until I found the site of the Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center years back. Rather than bore folks with endless quotes I will offer just two short ones and then a link to the site. Apparently there is a real scientific need/use for inbred livebearers for research. And clearly the need is to produce identical fish not mutations or inbred disasters.

Among vertebrate stock centers (like XGSC), genetically-identical animals most often are produced by inbreeding for many generations between brothers and sisters; in each generation, about one-half of the genetic differences between the parents are lost, increasing genetic identity among siblings with each inbred generation...............

Several of the original genetic strains of platyfish and swordtails developed by Dr. Gordon in the 1930s still are available today; they are virtual genetic clones, the products in some cases of more than 80 generations of brother-to-sister matings. The XGSC is one of the oldest live-animal resource centers in the world. It surprises even many scientists that one of the oldest and best-defined groups of model organisms are livebearing fishes of the genus Xiphophorus, the platyfishes and swordtails familiar to the tropical fish hobbyist.

http://www.xiphophorus.txstate.edu/about/introduction.html

fish48 said:
There are many ways of dealing with inbreeding for example keeping large Numbers outside in ponds is almost like a natural environment, when kept in large Numbers inbreeding of the fish are not a problem, the adult fish have more of a choice to pick from meaning that not all mattings will not be too closely related of brother to sister, also mattings among the different generations can only be good for the fish and can improve the gene pool, inbreeding can and do occur in the wild.  Unrelated or related fish can sometimes produce weak or sick offspring, in the wild nature takes care of such problems there will always be Predatory fish or creatures that prey on the vulnerable its survival of the fittest.
in the home aquarium inbreeding can easily be controlled you can expect to get good healthy Guppies from inbreeding them, one method I use is to run to tanks of the same Guppies let them flock breed, once every few years mix from both tanks this method works very well, or select the best male and female to breed from,
 Or simply run one tank let them flock breed and when or if needed remove any deformed or sick fish,
 By using this simple guide inbreeding Guppies /is not problem, and just to mention Guppies are not to over breed and weakened by too much inbreeding continued inbreeding side of it as very little to do with the stat of some of Guppies/tropical fish that are sold these days. Many farm breed strains are weaker caused by incorrect use of antibiotics hormones and many other factors causing health problems,
Always breed or from good stock remove any weak sick or deformed fry/fish,
Soon I will post some picks of old strains of guppy’s/Livebearers that’s been around for many years,
good read

thanks.gif

IMG_0021 (640x480).jpg
 this Cofer tail guppy is the result  of a result  out cross from a strain that's been inbreeding for over
15 years. the cross was purely to improve colour

fish48 said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0021 (640x480).jpg
 this Cofer tail guppy is the result  of a result  out cross from a strain that's been inbreeding for over
15 years. the cross was purely to improve colour

purdy lil feller...

Good read.

Some line's have been kept going for many years, as you know some people still have the original collection of endlers going true, and these have been breed together since 1975 with no issues as long as the runts are removed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back