A friend needs some fish identified

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Supraman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone a friend of mine is looking to get some fish she has identified, I'm not too familiar with small freshwater fish and have more experience with cichlids than anything else. So any help identifying these guys would be awesome!
IMG_20180706_005933.jpg

White cloud mountain minnows (Tanichthys albonubes).

Coldwater fish that will tolerate warm water (up to 28C) for a month or two at a time but live longer at lower temperatures between (16-20C). They grow to about 1 inch long (not including tail) and come in short and long fin varieties.

Males are slimmer and have more colourful and bigger fins. Females are fatter and not as brightly coloured. A very peaceful fish that normally don't eat their eggs or young and breed reasonably easily in a well planted aquarium or pond. The babies white clouds have an iridescent blue line along their body which goes as they get bigger. They look a bit like little tiny neons at that stage but without the red line.

Its probably more accurate to describe them as subtropical than cold water fish as they're originally from the southern subtropical region of china.

They do fine in the lower end of a heated aquarium and are best kept around 15-22 degrees but should be fine up to 24-25. Any higher and they probably won't be happy.

Awesome thanks for the help everyone it was a perfect Identification, also I picked them up off here she had them in a bit more of an aggressive tank and they will be a lot better in my community tank .

Its probably more accurate to describe them as subtropical than cold water fish as they're originally from the southern subtropical region of china.
Ah but Colin is from WA, in his world 22C means coat, woolly hat, thick gloves and heating in the house ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back