a few questions

Use the britta filter AND the stress coat. Stress coat is like a shot of whiskey for the fish, it calms them down much like Johnny Walker does for me.

You say that you add minerals to the water. how do you do this. because i really like using distilled water. My PH has not changed a bit with it and the tap water PH is 7.8 tank is at 7. I will probably follow the advise of using the filter and stress coat though because of the cost of distilled water

Is there any way to get the tap ph down because I do not want to shock the fish when I add the tap water. Won't the brita filter remove the minerals that I am trying to add to the tank???

Filters are by design, meant to remove minerals among other things. The quality of the filter has a lot to do with what it will take out. My system is for particles all the way down to less than a micron.

As for adding minerals, when ever you feed your fish, you are adding some. However, most LFS sell mineral mixes, though they are not always called that. Just read some bottles and you will find them.

As for the PH issue, there are chemicals for that too. I am not in the position to know how they work out since I don't need them. My belief from reading some of the posts on this board is that they can be pretty hard on fish too sometimes.

so the filter will remove what i'm trying to add? Why should I use it then?
I don't suppose there is a way to lower the ph of my tap water without chems
or is 7.6-7.8 acceptable to put into a tank with a ph of 7

Filters take out bad stuff, as well as good. They are generally better to have than not to have.

As far as the PH, if you are doing a 25% water change, it will be a change, but one that most fish should be able to handle.

I have low PH issues from my tap water. I read the bottle of an additive that guarantees it will take your PH to 7.0 if you add the right amount and use it weekly thereafter. I didn't try it. I am willing to use chem/meds for a one time shot to deal with an issue, but anything that I am meant to rely on continually... I just see foul marketing written all over it. Driftwood lowers PH... maybe buy a large piece of driftwood and a container... store the wood for next weeks water change in the container for a week. I'm sure it will take some experimenting to learn how many days you need to soak how much wood to get the PH right... It seems like a lot of work to me though...

Also, I'm no scientist but... if your tanks PH is 7.1, and your tap is 7.8, if you did a 25% water change your "new" PH should be 25% of the difference above 7.1 and 7.8, or 7.275 (7.8-7.1= .7; .7 x 25% = .175 ; 7.1+.175 + 7.275). Then after the water is mixed (new PH 7.275) it will seek the PH that the environment supports (7.1). Having a fluxation of .2 (actually .175) wouldn't hurt but the most sensitive of fish.

(*disclaimer - "This method is developed on logic alone. No physical research has been done to prove nor disprove theory. Therefore it is unlawful and duly improper to take offense if this theory is carried out with failure. Please Sign here _________________ ; witness_______________")

Most reactions

Back