A few questions.

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had quite a few betta's in different tanks (three by themselves and one in a community tank) and was just wondering what tank setup would be most like their natural habitat?

Also, I was needing to know how many females to put in with a male? Can I have angelfish in with them? It'll be a 20G tank. Thanks.
-Josh

well.... while betta's can survive in cool water, they would prefer warmer water, 27-28 degrees celsius.
so whichever tank has the warmest temp would probably be best. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't put that sentence together well. I don't have any betta's right now but have had them in the past. I was just wondering what type of tank setup (ie-substrate, wood, rocks, plants) would be most like the betta's natural habitat. Thanks.
-Josh

Hi Josh,
Wild betta's are found in rice field's. The closest you would want to come is natrual substrate suchas small stones & a planted tank.

Angelfish can't be with bettas because of the finnage. A betta would probably make short work of your poor angels. :-(

Male & Female betta's should never be kept long term together.

Female bettas should only be mixed with a male while breeding/After they have embraced the female should be taken immediatly from the tank/males take care of the nest.

Ideal temp's should be 74-80F

If it were me I'd use the 20gal for the angel's and find another community tank for several female bettas along with say some umm Mollies :thumbs:
And if you go with the male a 2-5 gallon for one male and maybe a Dwarf frog.
This is only my personal opinion. I have 2 guys presently in seperate tanks & a 10 gal. molly tank w/fry :wub:
Oh just a thought.. You can also use a divider to keep 2 or 3 males in a 10 gal. Looks pretty good with plants at the divider's to keep the boys from flaring at each other all the time.

Okay sorry for the book.. Keep me posted on what you decide Good Luck :thumbs:

Yeah I was pretty sure that the angels' fins were too much for a male betta. What fish go good with male betta's in a community tank? Are female bettas aggresive? Do they like being in small groups together or by themselves? Sorry for all the questions.
-Josh

Josh,

How would you learn if you never asked a ton of question's? So feel free and I'll do my best to help. :D

I've heard that tetras do well with bettas so do mollies :thumbs: Dwarf frog's. No guppies they are to similar in finnage..

Females can be just as aggresive as the male conterparts...if you go with females always introduce them into the tank in pairs... that way they will reach a pecking order with little trouble(most of the time) I have seen some people keep say 8-10 females in a community tank at the same time..

You just have to be sure to provide enough hiding places so if they get annoyed with each other they can rest in private. ( Privacy in a fish tank lol) ooops sorry brain wandered. :*) Plants, terra cotta pots, caves etc.

Keep me posted...if I don't answer right away it's because I am moving soon and living in controlled chaos :hyper: at the moment Good Luck

I'll probably put some mollies is with a male betta cause my mollies keep on having babies like crazy. Bought a male and female 5-6 months ago and now have 9 more. Pretty cool to watch them grow though. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
-Josh

I've found the Plecos, swords, and guppies tend to get along with male bettas, though sometimes it seems that the guppies get a lil to close for the bettas taste and he gives the guppies a lil run around. :lol:

DPS :shifty:

IMO male guppies are not really suitable - theirs fins are too much of a challenge to the betta. Mine has a great time hiding in the plants in my community tank. He shares it with sailfin mollies, platties, corys, gobi dragons, zebra danios and a plec. The tank is heavily planted and there are also lots of hiding places for everyone should the betta get a bit over zealous. :nod:

Most reactions

Back