A Few Beginner Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Alright so ive come to the conclusion that I'm fully planting my new 100g tank. My lighting is not the best and im wondering whats possible in the realm of LED lights that will work well with a planted tank. Also suggestions as to plants that will work in hardwater (hardwater and high pH from our city water). Catching rainwater is possible but with a tank thats 100g i dont know how consistently i could get sufficient amounts. Im not going into co2 just yet, so thats another thing to take into consideration. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not an expert so I can only tell you what has worked by trial and error for me :)  I've had good success with these plants so far in my hard pH 8.2 water:

Crypt Becketti + Amicorum
Java + Taiwan moss
Hygrophila Polysperma
Sagittaria Subulata
Java fern mini + trident
Anubias nana + hygrophila

This is with low lighting and added liquid carbon and some ferts, although most of them grew pretty well before I started adding liquid carbon too.

Plants I've failed to grow:
Most stem plants, e.g. Egeria Densa, cabomba, limnophila sessiliflora.  Also vallis.

This might have more to do with lack of macro ferts in my water supply since some of them are supposed to love hard water, particularly egeria and vallis.  Hornwort is supposed to do well in hard water too but I know without trying it would melt on me!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back