A brief description of the Salamanderfish

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I posted 'Are there LFS's selling endangered fish' and Colin started the thread with a unique native fish that he loves the most. I was shocked by the salamanderfish and wrote a description of the fish. We both discussed about the fish, which I enjoyed the most.

The salamanderfish ( Lepidogalaxias salamandroides) is endemic to southern WA and is classified as endangered by the IUCN Red List. The rare and unique fish lives in D'Entrecasteaux National Park, 315km south of Perth. They are found in acidic, shallow and temporary swamps in coastal heathland. This species was described in 1961 by the late Gerlof Mees, a Dutch ichthyologist and ornithologist who was born in 1926. This fish reportedly appeared at the age of the dinosaurs, according to fellow Perthsider Colin, and has the ability to bend its neck at right angles. Habitat destruction for widening roads by Main Roads WA and climate change has put this species at risk of extinction. It is rarely kept in aquaria because it is illegal to catch them from their native range, which are situated in national parks.

Most reactions

Back