A Black Ghost Knife And An Oscar?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could keep an oscar with a BGK, and if so, what size tank would they need? I am planning a tank for the distant future, and have always wanted an oscar, but lately I have found that I quite like BGKs. Something about the ones with blue eyes. :drool: So. Very. Beautiful! :wub:

Also, about the BGK's, do some have blue eyes and others black, or is the blue just a trick of the camera or something?

Not to get too carried away, but I also have always wanted an eel, though I am not yet familiar with all the different types yet. Is there a type that could go with the oscar/BGK but keep the tank requirements down as much as possible?

I wouldn't recommend keeping the 2 together. A spiny eel and a black ghost knife sounds perfect though. Wgat tank size are we looking at?

I wouldn't recommend keeping the 2 together. A spiny eel and a black ghost knife sounds perfect though. Wgat tank size are we looking at?

I'm not sure. I am kinda wierd about what fish I do and don't like, so basically I figure out what fish I like, if they are compatible, then figure out what size tank they would need, then I have a figure to work towards. (Formerly I was working towards an 80 gallon tank for just one oscar, but now I think I would rather have a BGK.)

What size tank would a spiney eel and a BGK need?

What size tank would a spiney eel and a BGK need?

Well, there are many kinds of spiny eels (fire eel, peacock eel, tire track eel, etc...), so you'll have to google them and see which one you like (or can get) - then a tank size can be more accuratly configured - so far we're at a 65 gallon bare minimum for the bgk and smaller of the eels...

I kept a BGK with a tiger oscar for AGES they were fantastic house mates.

Of course it dependes on the size of the tank that you have but if you are planning on keeping an oscar then you obviously do have a large-ish tank. They should be fine.

Also I find that fire eels have the best personality, as they can become so tame I can even stroke both of mine!!! Tyre track eels are the most fun to feed but also they can give you some problems because they are the most terratorial of the spiney eels. m,ost other spineys would be too small to keep with fish like an oscar bcoz they would just get eaten like a string of spagetti.

Fire eels grow about 1/2 foot larger than tyre tracks but fire eels are the most friendly and IME and IMO the most active etc. and if you get a fire eel there is no need to worry about fish disappearing.

Looking around, I do like the fire eels. :)

So could a have a fire eel, an oscar, and a BGK in the same tank? how big a tank would that be? I am planning on a larger tank, though I don't think I want to go too much bigger then 120 or 150. I could probably do 200, though that would be pushing it a little. :X

IMO a 150 gal tank would be just gr8 for these fish. I used to keep them in a 100gal tank but then When th oscar grew to 10" i had to get rid of him :-(

Apparently BGK and Oscars work together. I studied hard on black ghosts. Their bare minumim for adult is suggusted at 85. And oscars are very messy. So i'd go with 100 or 125. And have plenty of floating plants and live plants, as well as hiding tubes for the BGK.

Most reactions

Back