7gal Shrimp Only - "forgotten Glade"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
Following on from some of the guys on UKAPS, setting a fine example, I've decided to setup my own shrimp only tank. I have re-scaped my 27 litre Aqua 40 "cube", re-using the existing Eco Complete, which I doubt has any nutrients left in it, mainly because it's a dark substrate.

Specs:
27 litre Aqua40 (approx 30cm cube, bow front)
18w retrofitted T5 PC
Eheim Pro 2222 (rated@500lph)

Flora:
Fissedens Fontanus
Weeping Moss
Java Fern "needle"
P. Helferi
Bolbitis
Staurogyne sp.

Fauna:
Cherry shrimp (arriving soon)

My intention is to dose TPN+ and Easy Carbo. Lighting is from an 18w Interpet PC. I need to change the tube as it's using a "beauty" light which is pretty dull and un-inspiring. I've seen some on Lampspec which might do the trick.

Filtration will be from an Eheim 2222. Little bit under powered I think, but will do a good job for just shrimp :)

Anyhow, here's how it looks after some final planting and adding some more rock, and generally after more fiddling about this eve:

CRW_5103.jpg

I have some cherry shrimp arriving on Wednesday thanks to LondonDragon on UKAPS :)

Looks like a nice shrimp setup. Im also getting ready to start mine :)

Cool :) I just hope I have more luck with Cherry shrimp this time around. I managed to lose about 20 last time :(

I need to think of a name for this "scape" too :)

Cool :) I just hope I have more luck with Cherry shrimp this time around. I managed to lose about 20 last time :(

I need to think of a name for this "scape" too :)

'The stump of wisdom'

:lol:

Shrimp arrived at 12.30, and all looked to be healthy, all hiding in the moss LD had included in the bag (nice looking taiwan moss!) I get them into a plastic container and floated it on top of the aquarium, and acclimitised them for a few hours. I have also swapped the filter over from the Eheim 2213 that was on it to the Eheim pro 2222 which I intend to be the main filter for this tank. The main reason was that I was worried the 2213 had un-cycled seeing as it had been running on the tank with no inhabbitants for a good week or so. The other reason is I plan to use that filter on a slightly larger tank ;)

Anyhow, I almost forgot to cover over the end of the filter intake to prevent shrimplets being sucked into the filter. I used a section of cloth mesh from an old breeding trap I had kicking about. I rolled it over the inlet strainer and tied it off at the bottom. I then tucked the remainder of the mesh at the top and trapped it inplace when I put the strainer back onto the intake tube. Should work a treat :)

Anyhow, enough blabbering. Here are a few pics :)

CRW_5106.jpg

One of the larger shrimps:
CRW_5107.jpg

My favourite angle. I've added a few more smaller bits of rock behind the P. helferi and under one of the overhanging "roots". Small pieces but I think they've added to it:

CRW_5108.jpg

And an overall shot:
CRW_5110.jpg

Too lazy to rotate the photos and crop them :lol:

Just want to say thanks again to LondonDragon for the shrimp. I just have to pay him now :D

Looking good, I can't wait to see it when it starts to lush out :)
I really like the stump you have. Excellent placement :good:

Looks brilliant! Great scape and it's overall a very cool little setup. Nice choice of plants, will be interesting to see how the Staurogyne sp. turns out :).

Congrats! Mine have been swimming around like mad. I've added a large amount of riccia to the surface temporarily, to grow on and also to hold, ready for another tank I'm starting in a few weeks or so. The filter outlet is low enough so the riccia is staying put it seems

*phew*

Congrats! Mine have been swimming around like mad. I've added a large amount of riccia to the surface temporarily, to grow on and also to hold, ready for another tank I'm starting in a few weeks or so. The filter outlet is low enough so the riccia is staying put it seems

*phew*

once you get riccia it is like duckweed, you can never get rid. I got rid of some months ago, i have just pulled out massive lumps that have started groeing in my HC again!

Beautiful scape there mate, will be awesome when it grows out. I have a large leafed anubias that would go perfectly on the top of your stump there!

That's a brilliant hardscape layout, Steve. Like it a lot. Should be mind-blowing when it hits maturity.

Beautiful scape there mate, will be awesome when it grows out. I have a large leafed anubias that would go perfectly on the top of your stump there!

Thanks :) I have a tiny leaved anubias which I might attempt to shoe horn into there, but I think there is enough planting in there. I think I need to just leave it be.

Love the scape :wub:

That's a brilliant hardscape layout, Steve. Like it a lot. Should be mind-blowing when it hits maturity.

Thanks guys :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back