April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishyboi3033

Reaction score
Hello!
Currently in a smaller tank I have a Convict, Electric Blue Acara, female Jack Dempsy, and an albino Senegal Bichir. They are all still very much juveniles as the bichir is only around 5 inches and the biggest of the cichlids is the convict at around 3 inches, but I wanted to get them their bigger home now, being a 75 gallon. I was wondering if I could get any other Ichlids to go in or will it become over stocked? Some fish that I was thinking about were a Green Terror and and/ or a firemouth. Give me your thoughts. Thank you.

Jack Dempsey may decide she wants the whole tank to herself, once the hormones kick in, as for the other fish, I have not done much research on them, but just from the maximum sizes of these fish alone, I am seeing potential overcrowding issues with your current stock down the road in a 75 gallon.

Jack Dempsey may decide she wants the whole tank to herself, once the hormones kick in, as for the other fish, I have not done much research on them, but just from the maximum sizes of these fish alone, I am seeing potential overcrowding issues with your current stock down the road in a 75 gallon.

Thank you for the response. I want my tank to be dense with fish and have a lot of activity, but not so dense that it is overcrowded

You will more likely have dead fish before too long. The Convict needs this tank to itself (single or a pair). The Jack Dempsey the same. Neotropical cichlid species are not community fish in the same sense as are the African rift lake cichlids.

If you want a tank "dense with fish" you should rehome the cichlids and look at peaceful community fish species.

Thank you for the response. I want my tank to be dense with fish and have a lot of activity, but not so dense that it is overcrowded

I agree with Byron, If you want a tank "dense with fish" go and get lots of small shoaling fish. These bigger and or more aggressive fish are not suitable with many tank mates.

If you have your heart set on cichlids and you want a density effect, your best bet is lake malawi. All my African tanks are much more peaceful and community like. My new world cichlids are vicious.

Most reactions

trending

Back