75 Gallon Low Light Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

penguinpimp1990

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Under 40 watts in a 75 gallon aquarium (approx. 0.6 WPG) what floating plants would do well? I am not a fan of small floating plants like duckweed, I am looking for something larger like watersprite. What stem plants would do well under this lighting? I dont know if I used this right, but stem plant refers to any plant that grows roots in the substrate right?

Can I have as much surface agitation as I like in a low light set up?
Can I have as many plants as I like or is do you have to plant spraringly in low light setups?
Would it be worth while to add laterite under the sand in a low-light setup?

Would a normal shade of neutral colored sand with a black background look weird?

Under 40 watts in a 75 gallon aquarium (approx. 0.6 WPG) what floating plants would do well?

I don't have too much knowledge about floating plants.. but here is my issue with your question. First off 0.6 WPG isn't going to grow much, you need at least 1WPG. I advise a cheap light upgrade, such as a shop light from your local hardware store. To give you an idea of price, I pay 20 bucks Canadian for a 4 foot t8 shop light, very inexpensive. Also I don't advise floating plants, especially with a low light tank. As is your tank will be low light, you don't want to block what light you have from your plants.

What stem plants would do well under this lighting? I dont know if I used this right, but stem plant refers to any plant that grows roots in the substrate right?

Again not much under that amount of light. If you do the small upgrade and get over 1wpg you can grow quite a selection of plants. Java moss/fern, anacharis, hygro, vallis, anubias, crypts, sagitarria, swords, .... there are more. Anyways you see my point, you can grow a lot under low light, they just grow slower.

Can I have as much surface agitation as I like in a low light set up?

If your adding co2 in any sort of way I would reduce surface agitation as it drives off co2. Otherwise i don't see why not.

Can I have as many plants as I like or is do you have to plant spraringly in low light setups?

In a low light setup you want to plant heavy. Why? Because of slower growth if you don't plant heavy your going to run into algae issues.

Would it be worth while to add laterite under the sand in a low-light setup?

Yes, it would be very beneficial. There are also other cheap substrates that are even better. You can also make your own mix.

Would a normal shade of neutral colored sand with a black background look weird?
No. Blackground goes with pretty much anything

Anymore questions feel free to ask. ;)

I have a low light 55 gallon tank that is well-planted. The plants consist mostly of anubias (3 different types), tiger lotus and jungle vallis. The anubias are beautiful and appreciate the lower light level.

I use a light colored (off-white) gravel as it helps to reflect the light and as you mentioned above, I have laterite underneath. (I have a black background, too.)

Algae issues are minimal (my 6" plec may have something to do with that!) The water current is pretty strong as I have white cloud mountain minnows in there and they love it that way. Also, I keep the temp at 72-73F)

For floating plants you could try brazilian pennywort (?) Also, if you have lillies, you can let the leaves grow to the top and float on the surface. You would just need to be sure that they are only shading plants like the anubias and not others that need more light.

One last suggestion -- cryptocorynes like low light and make pretty foreground plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back