7 tetras died when I was on vacation :(

wtusa17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just got back from a 5 day vacation. I have 6 tanks. One of which is a fry tank. I just got home and noticed that a few tetras were missing. I had 4 neons and 4 lemon tetras plus a few other very peaceful fish in my 20 gallon. I came home and saw some floating fish and skeletons. I realized that I was missing all of my lemon tetras and 3 of my neons. Never would have expected my tetras to die. I don’t think I lost a single other fish. This sucks as I’ve only been in the hobby for about 7 months and this tank was my first so it’s my most established. The neons were the first fish that I purchased.

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How often do you do water changes. Hopefully you did a water change right before you left. I always do water changes right before I leave for a couple of days to prevent bad things from happening. Did someone feed them when you were gone?

OP
W

wtusa17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How often do you do water changes. Hopefully you did a water change right before you left. I always do water changes right before I leave for a couple of days to prevent bad things from happening. Did someone feed them when you were gone?
I did a water change the day we left. And they weren’t fed

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
They should have been OK then. Sorry for your loss. Were your lights left off or on a timer?

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Ok. I left the blinds open so they got sunlight and also I have a tank across the room that lights the tank up a decent amount.
The window didn’t heat the tank too much did it? Just thinking of possibilities.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
It’s just strange that it was all tetras. They don’t like high heat. Perhaps @Colin_T can shed some light.