7 Foot Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rayzz

Reaction score
hi, this is my 7 foot tank, dimensions are 7x2.5x2.5, it has a 250 litre sump and two pumps that run at around 12000 lph.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

and its inhabitants;

polypterus lapradei niger
DSC00830.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

vulture catfish (Calophysus macropterus)
DSC00829.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

HPIM1301.jpg

datnioides microlepis
DSC00828.jpg

potamotrygon marble sp.
HPIM1298.jpg

HPIM1307.jpg

HPIM1308.jpg

HPIM1311.jpg

HPIM1300.jpg

potamotrygon henlei x mantilla
henleixmantilla1.jpg

henleixmantilla2.jpg

henleixmantilla4.jpg

henliexmantilla3.jpg

group shots!
raycatpoly.jpg

rayscatpoly.jpg

full tank details;
tank; 7 foot long 2.5 foot wide 2.5 foot high, 12mm glass on all 4 sides and 24mm glass on base, full length glass sliders.
stand and hood; beach coloured wooden stand and hood.
two double 52 watt t5 lighting unit (also full length white and blue remote control LED set, not yet installed)
250 litre sump, 3 compartments 3x2x18, 6mm glass, approx 150 litres of media.
2 x hailea hx 6850 7000 lph pumps, which at the 1.4 metre head turn over around 12000 lph.
it has 1 6"x6" 22" high wiers at either rear end of the tank, the pipes leading from the tank to the sump are 60mm tmc marine grade, the pipes running from the pumps to the tank are 32mm, they enter the tank via a full length spray bar which is also 32mm pvc.
its all up for sale aswel, fish and tank alike, anyone interested let me know.

enjoy!

Love the tank, love the Rays, just wondered tho are Rays ok with gravel? I thought they had to be kept with sand but I may be wrong lol. I always wanted Rays but I don't think I could sacrifice the plants and decor to keep them tho, may be one day.

Awesome tho!!!
:good:

sand is probably best, but in the wild they would live with a mud substrate, so short of that, no one will re-create whats best for them, i did have sand until i had the sump and it all got sucked over when the rays wafted it about, this grave is quite fine and the rays still bury in it so its not too bad i suppose.

Brilliant tank mate and fish.
Never seen a vulture catfish before so very nice to see something new how big do they get ?

i love the tank, and nthe inhabitants, but time is against me and i find myself having less and less time to spend upkeeping the tank and its a shame as its stunning, the fish deserve a lot of time and i don't think i have it any more im selling all the fish and tank but if the tank doesn't sell im just going to fill it with little fish for now so its easier and then see how it goes.
vulture cats get to about 20", though 18" is a good sized captive one and around 16" being the average max size of captive vulture cats, they are very vicious so only kept with other big fish, though this one seems very placid, there not called vulture cats for no reason! ha

The sump looks good! Very tidy!

Your Henleix Mantilla growing fast? Mine is in the 4x2x2 tank and isn't growing that fast. Wasthinking of putting it in the bigger tank but dont trust my poly's with it as theyre pretty big now.

You could do with something in the middle of the tank as it looks a little empty or have you thinned down your stock?

really thinned out now as i'm selling the lot, the bigger ray has gone now, i think the henlei x mantilla is going this weekend, just got to sell the catfish, poly and tigerfish now, then the tank, i'd say the ray has grown, but only by half an inch or so maybe, it was fine with the bigger ray, and the poly which is around 12", so a bit smaller then yours i think, some can be aggressive and i'd say the baby rays will still probably be a little fragile.
took me a lot of time to do the sump conversion, but glad i did everything on my own!
just don't have the time now to maintain it as it should be and its not fair on the fish, so they are all going, if i can't sell the tank, i'll turn one of the pumps off so its just doing 6000 lpg, put mesh over the wiers and put some wood and plants in and a few neons! ha

is this daveoddbals ???

really thinned out now as i'm selling the lot, the bigger ray has gone now, i think the henlei x mantilla is going this weekend, just got to sell the catfish, poly and tigerfish now, then the tank, i'd say the ray has grown, but only by half an inch or so maybe, it was fine with the bigger ray, and the poly which is around 12", so a bit smaller then yours i think, some can be aggressive and i'd say the baby rays will still probably be a little fragile.
took me a lot of time to do the sump conversion, but glad i did everything on my own!
just don't have the time now to maintain it as it should be and its not fair on the fish, so they are all going, if i can't sell the tank, i'll turn one of the pumps off so its just doing 6000 lpg, put mesh over the wiers and put some wood and plants in and a few neons! ha

Do the 24/7 water change system i have and have it running out the conseravotry door or sommet no hassle then. i havent done any work on my outside tank at all since it was setup.

i can't be bothered putting any more lumps of cash into it right now to be honest, although my tank is right next to the conservatory, if i didn't want the overflow pipe to be seen i'd have to drill a hole straight through the wall, i doubt anyone would be too happy about that! i should have my own house by the end of next year so will be able to get a bigger tank and set it up exactly how i want, i'm fed up with working with limitations.
like on this tank when i drilled it and put all the pipework in and started it up it sounded like niagra falls so i had to extend the pipes to the sump so they actually touched the water so as not to make a splash, and adjust the position of the pumps and all sorts, if it was in a fish house i'd have none of thet.
the female marble motoro has gone now, the henlei x mantilla is going on the weekend, just waiting on the other fish to go, someone emailed me about the tank yesterday so i'll see where that goes but like i said if i don't get offered enough for it i'll just keep it until next year and turn it into a community tank with wood and plants until then!

How much are you getting for the rays ? We have redundancy's where i work so i may need to sell mine over the next month or two.

If i do another tank i might try drilling through the bottom of the tank , will increase the max flow along with keeping it quiet.

If you do keep the tank get some tin foil barbs , one of my fvourite fish and they look impressive. i have 8 all around 6-8inch in the bigger tank.

i had tin foils before. need something small and wasy to get rid of as il be moving out this time next year. i can get a box of 1400 cardinals for £180, that should fill a gap! i might just import a load of small fish to sell. any ideas of what to keep then fire away. but has to be smal and compatble with other small fish.

Looks great.
600 Galaxy rasbora would look great. Although at about £5 each it wont be cheap.

Most reactions

Back