6X2X2 Tropical Tank Set Up

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rsfan74

Reaction score
hi im new to all this so any help hugely appreciated.....

im looking to buy and set up a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft 700 litre tropical tank, the tank and stand are not a problem but would like any advice on filters, pumps and everything else that goes with, also acclimatising the water before and fish are added and then obviously the fish.

i know there are different ways and methods so i'll explain type of fish and then maybe someone can help from there with the set up, ok id like a few schools of smaller fish, colourful and maybe in groups of 6-8, would also like a 3 or 4 fish that hide inlogs or other accessories in the tank (nocturnal and pretty) and then a few larger fish that just roam through the day?

ok hope theres someone that can help as the guy at local retailers didnt have a clue about kids tanks lol

thanks muchly

john

Welcome to the site and fish keeping.

You will never see that stock in that tank. Think for schooling fish numbers of 30-50 in a tank that size. Next you will likely want a few bigger fish.

But long before you start to consider stocking you need to know the water parameter you have. Different fish need different parameters.

I would like to send you over to a site that has a great article for new fish keepers. It pretty well touches on all the essentials and is mostly on the money. I relied on it when I set up my first tank in early 2001. Once you have read that you may find you have more and different questions:

Go to the link below, click on Your First Aquarium, then click on Introduction and read then entire thing (not just the introduction) all the way through. Do not be shy about reading parts more than once :). After that do a Google Sump Filter or just go read here http://www.oscarfishlover.com/the-sump-filter

Just so you know- figure you will be spending between $1,500 and $2,500 (£911 - £1,519 or €1,059 - €1,820) for your setup.
http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

I think I can help... I have a 110 gallon tank...  I have two shoals of mid level swimmers, 24 neon tetras and 20 'rosy' tetras (possibly candy cane tetras), a group of corydoras, and I plan to add some apistogrammas or rams in the future and a group of 3 or 4 BN plecos.

I think you are grossly under estimating the size of your tank and the possibility of shoal size... WAY too small - 6-8 won't ever be seen (I see that TTA has mentioned that).

I think the first thing you have to nail down though, is the larger fish you want, as that will determine the options with the smaller fish. 

Also knowing the type of water: hard/soft, acid/base... This helps too.

Some ideas for the nocturnal pretty fish... longfin bristlenose plecos would work.

Larger free swimmers... Rams, apistogrammas, pearl gourami.

Smaller shoalers... Depends on the size you are looking for -> smaller shoalers: ember tetras, emperor tetras, neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, espei rasboras, hengeli rasboras, mosquito rasboras,

Midsize shoalers... dwarf neon rainbowfish, cardinal tetras, penguin tetras, skirt tetras, bleeding heart tetras...

Large shoalers... congo tetras, boesemanni rainbowfish, torquoise rainbowfish, rosy barbs, denison barbs...

The options are LIMITLESS... but as pointed out, once we've identified your water parameters, then it makes it more reasonable to get a handle on it.  (and welcome to the forum)

TwoTankAmin said:
Welcome to the site and fish keeping.

You will never see that stock in that tank. Think for schooling fish numbers of 30-50 in a tank that size. Next you will likely want a few bigger fish.

But long before you start to consider stocking you need to know the water parameter you have. Different fish need different parameters.

I would like to send you over to a site that has a great article for new fish keepers. It pretty well touches on all the essentials and is mostly on the money. I relied on it when I set up my first tank in early 2001. Once you have read that you may find you have more and different questions:

Go to the link below, click on Your First Aquarium, then click on Introduction and read then entire thing (not just the introduction) all the way through. Do not be shy about reading parts more than once
smile.png
. After that do a Google Sump Filter or just go read here http://www.oscarfishlover.com/the-sump-filter

Just so you know- figure you will be spending between $1,500 and $2,500 (£911 - £1,519 or €1,059 - €1,820) for your setup.
http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html
cheers for the info. will take a read of the articles the next few days, picking up the tank next month when i move house so  will study it till then, had a feeling id need more fish but will tackle that once everythings bought and ready to roll, just really unsure of plants rocks and sand to fill it with :eek:/

do you plan to plant your tank if so how heavily if it is heavily planted it may be possible to keep something like 6 angelfish and then 2-4 showls (25-50 not very good with exact showl sizes but the more types you have the smaller the amount of the type of tetra) of medium tetra e.g serpae ,black skirt ,rosy, bleeding heart red eye then something like a plec (your choice although a common will reach 50cm in that tank) then a group of yoyo or zebra loaches would be beautiful and hide in caves although i dont know if they are nocturnal although i would look around because people have had mixed experiences with keeping angels and tetra but from what ive gatherd if the tank is highly planted large and the tetra are medium size more disk shaped (as angels hunt neons/cardinals and so they have a higher chance of seeing torpedo tetras as food than a more 'disk like tetra' like rosy or black skirt. just an idea stocking loads of other options you could have although tetra will most likely be a recurring recomendation

btw welcome

this would give a water parameter of about 25 degrees and ph of 7-6

noobgamers said:

do you plan to plant your tank if so how heavily if it is heavily planted it may be possible to keep something like 6 angelfish and then 2-4 showls (25-50 not very good with exact showl sizes but the more types you have the smaller the amount of the type of tetra) of medium tetra e.g serpae ,black skirt ,rosy, bleeding heart red eye then something like a plec (your choice although a common will reach 50cm in that tank) then a group of yoyo or zebra loaches would be beautiful and hide in caves although i dont know if they are nocturnal although i would look around because people have had mixed experiences with keeping angels and tetra but from what ive gatherd if the tank is highly planted large and the tetra are medium size more disk shaped (as angels hunt neons/cardinals and so they have a higher chance of seeing torpedo tetras as food than a more 'disk like tetra' like rosy or black skirt. just an idea stocking loads of other options you could have although tetra will most likely be a recurring recomendation

btw welcome

this would give a water parameter of about 25 degrees and ph of 7-6
havent thought too much about plants although ive just read up on them a bit and debating plastic or real, i am gonna buy all the gear when i move into house and set it all up then look into all the types of fish, aslong as its colourful and peacefull i'll be a happy chap, thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back