65usg Tank Setup, Request Advice On Lighting...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ansel_Tk1

Reaction score
Hi - my goal is to set up a 65G tropical planted tank with many small fish. I am looking at installing a UGF and canister filter for filtration, but I am stuck on the lighting. I like the lighting that 'hovers' 3" above instead of the hood with a strip. I have seen those 'compact' fluorescents that have the legs that keep the lights above.

My question is - does it matter if the tank uses a hood and is covered or is it ok with open top and these kind of lights. Also, I have seen some of the lights that come with 'lunar' LEDs. Are these of any benefit for a tropical versus marine tank?

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Hi - my goal is to set up a 65G tropical planted tank with many small fish. I am looking at installing a UGF and canister filter for filtration, but I am stuck on the lighting. I like the lighting that 'hovers' 3" above instead of the hood with a strip. I have seen those 'compact' fluorescents that have the legs that keep the lights above.

My question is - does it matter if the tank uses a hood and is covered or is it ok with open top and these kind of lights. Also, I have seen some of the lights that come with 'lunar' LEDs. Are these of any benefit for a tropical versus marine tank?

Thank you so much for your thoughts!
I have a 40g planted tank and use a T5 fixture on legs instead of a hood. I love the modern clean look and easy access. Compact fluorescent would work as well. The only drawback is you have to avoid fish that tend to be "jumpers".

Will you be adding CO2 or will this be a "low tech" tank? That'll give us an idea of how high you should go on the wattage.

Lunar lights are cool and give you another way to view the tank, but don't provide any fish or plant benefit. I have them in my light fixture and like them though.

One other note: Ditch the UGF. It's pretty much obsolete technology and is a particularly bad match for a planted tank.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply! I have heard that about the UGF - I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Is the canister filter enough filtration for this setup then?

I do plan to add CO2. I am going to try and make this as hi-tech as possible!

I was also thinking for the heater to get one of those in-line heaters instead of the in-the-tank kind...do you have any experience/thoughts on those?

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back