6 New Zebra Danios, 3 dead, one not swimming well

Did you clean the tank with anything other than fresh water?
No. I also have a seperate bucket specifically for the tank.

I did put in some baking soda earlier to raise the PH because the driftwood dropped it under 6.2. This was before I bought the fish

Just in case there is an issue with oxygen, lower the temp when you change the water. This will increase the available oxygen. Zebras can go down to 20 C (65 F)

"Danios" presumably refers to the Zebra Danio, correct me if it is another species. Any other fish in the tank?

Do not use baking soda. Do a major water change now, 75% of the tank volume at one go, to clean up the water. Use the Prime conditioner only.

Temperature at 79F is high for danios, though this would not in itself cause what you have described, but it does make their life processes more difficult. If these are the only fish, lower the temperature to 73-75 with the water change and lower your heater accordingly.

We should examine the pH issue after you do the W/C. We need to know the GH (general or total hardness) of your source water, and the pH. Also the pH of the tank water. Any attempt to adjust the pH with any substance should never be done with fish in the tank.

Just in case there is an issue with oxygen, lower the temp when you change the water. This will increase the available oxygen. Zebras can go down to 20 C (65 F)
Well I've been actively trying to get the temp down all day. From what I can tell the temp is too high. Im guessing that's the reason.

I did a 20% change earlier with colder water. I also put in a bag with ice. The temp slowly dropped from 81 to 79 but I think that was just naturally losing heat. This tank keeps heat really well lol

Well I've been actively trying to get the temp down all day. From what I can tell the temp is too high. Im guessing that's the reason.

I did a 20% change earlier with colder water. I also put in a bag with ice. The temp slowly dropped from 81 to 79 but I think that was just naturally losing heat. This tank keeps heat really well lol
A large W/C performed now will reduce the temp and provide fresh clean water. It may not save your fish, but it will greatly increase their survival chances.

This is dangerous too, fluctuating temperature. Why is the tank this warm to begin with? Many heaters are not properly calibrated and can heat higher than the set temperature, which is OK provided you know it is doing this and turn the setting down. Example, I have a good heater that keeps the water at 77-78F when the temp setting is at 72F.

The temp is not the likely issue here but it is possible it is even warmer than the 79F. Do you have a separate thermometer, or just use the heater setting?

The temp is not the likely issue here but it is possible it is even warmer than the 79F. Do you have a separate thermometer, or just use the heater setting?
Great idea!

My temp is set at 69 (house is about 67-68) but the tank is 76 (measured with a Thermapen)

"Danios" presumably refers to the Zebra Danio, correct me if it is another species. Any other fish in the tank?

Do not use baking soda. Do a major water change now, 75% of the tank volume at one go, to clean up the water. Use the Prime conditioner only.

Temperature at 79F is high for danios, though this would not in itself cause what you have described, but it does make their life processes more difficult. If these are the only fish, lower the temperature to 73-75 with the water change and lower your heater accordingly.

We should examine the pH issue after you do the W/C. We need to know the GH (general or total hardness) of your source water, and the pH. Also the pH of the tank water. Any attempt to adjust the pH with any substance should never be done with fish in the tank.

Water change done. Temp is now 78f. Ph doesn't seem to have changed by much according to test strip.

This is dangerous too, fluctuating temperature. Why is the tank this warm to begin with? Many heaters are not properly calibrated and can heat higher than the set temperature, which is OK provided you know it is doing this and turn the setting down. Example, I have a good heater that keeps the water at 77-78F when the temp setting is at 72F.

I just used the heater.

I just used the heater.
If you turn off the heater the temp should stabilize somewhat above room temp (due to lighting and a bit for the pump). Pick up a inexpensive digital meat thermometer, or if you like to cook, a Thermapen :) Even the cheapest will be more accurate than the thermostat on your heater.

If you turn off the heater the temp should stabilize somewhat above room temp (due to lighting and a bit for the pump). Pick up a inexpensive digital meat thermometer, or if you like to cook, a Thermapen :) Even the cheapest will be more accurate than the thermostat on your heater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back