5gal Planted / Betta Journal

Well, the Java Fern is looking better and worse. It's got black spots on it (tiny) and some large splotches near some of the stalks. There are three baby plants growing out under the leaves though. One is already sending up Leaves and two roots, the other two have only sent out roots so far.

The Anubias look just fine so far.

I'm a little concerned about the temperature of the tank. When I come in in the morning, the temp is usually about 80 degrees. By mid day, the lights have kicked the temp up 2-3 degrees. I shut the lights off when it gets too close to 83. I'm not sure how much of a temperature swing I should allow though. I've raised the lights up about an inch using some pieces of plastic, and the temp is hovering just above 82.3 right now. I'm pretty sure this is an unhealthily warm climate at the moment.

The other problem is that I don't know how accurate my thermometer is. It swings in less than a minute more than .7 degrees. It's a coralife digital thermometer. I have the probe placed in the outflow of my filter. I originally had it in the intake, but when it was there the temps were quite a bit higher :)

I've been unable to purchase more plants. I will attempt to either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully I can get a bunch of 'em.

As for a stocking plan, I've decided I would like 3 khuli Loaches, several Ghost shrimp (if the Betta doesn't eat them), a Half Moon Betta of some sort, and some ottos for algae removal. I'm not sure on the number of ottos, as I've never kept them before.

- Chris

Interesting, you plant when the tank is empty, i always plant when the tank is full of water, maybe next time i should try your idea

Interesting, you plant when the tank is empty, i always plant when the tank is full of water, maybe next time i should try your idea
Yeah, it worked out really well. Until I had to reposition things after I put in the water :/

Well, the Java Fern is looking better and worse. It's got black spots on it (tiny) and some large splotches near some of the stalks. There are three baby plants growing out under the leaves though. One is already sending up Leaves and two roots, the other two have only sent out roots so far.

The Anubias look just fine so far.

I'm a little concerned about the temperature of the tank. When I come in in the morning, the temp is usually about 80 degrees. By mid day, the lights have kicked the temp up 2-3 degrees. I shut the lights off when it gets too close to 83. I'm not sure how much of a temperature swing I should allow though. I've raised the lights up about an inch using some pieces of plastic, and the temp is hovering just above 82.3 right now. I'm pretty sure this is an unhealthily warm climate at the moment.

The other problem is that I don't know how accurate my thermometer is. It swings in less than a minute more than .7 degrees. It's a coralife digital thermometer. I have the probe placed in the outflow of my filter. I originally had it in the intake, but when it was there the temps were quite a bit higher :)

I've been unable to purchase more plants. I will attempt to either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully I can get a bunch of 'em.

As for a stocking plan, I've decided I would like 3 khuli Loaches, several Ghost shrimp (if the Betta doesn't eat them), a Half Moon Betta of some sort, and some ottos for algae removal. I'm not sure on the number of ottos, as I've never kept them before.

- Chris

I suck at planting my 10G as I only have 30watts of fluorescent light and no co2, I might need to buy incandescent. :shout: But I won't hijack your thread. Anyway, if a java fern leave gets plantlets, the plantlets might suck most of the nutrients out of the mother plant, so the mom leave will die, but new leaves will sprout up by the bundle and bam, you have more plants. So I'd wait, but don't worry.

I suck at planting my 10G as I only have 30watts of fluorescent light and no co2, I might need to buy incandescent. :shout: But I won't hijack your thread. Anyway, if a java fern leave gets plantlets, the plantlets might suck most of the nutrients out of the mother plant, so the mom leave will die, but new leaves will sprout up by the bundle and bam, you have more plants. So I'd wait, but don't worry.

Good to know, maybe that would account for the splotches. It's pretty cool coming in every morning to see that much new growth though. Hope your Ten goes well, I reccomend the 98w Power Quad if you can swing it, I've used it in the past. Fits the tank exactly.

- C

Just getting back to the rhizomes, they should not be flush with the substrate, they should be above. The entire rhizome needs circulation and having it flush will cause rot in the bottom. Same with the java fern. Sorry, I'm bein picky.

Otherwise, other than the screaming need for a lot more plants, I like what you've got so far. But things take time to setup.

llj

Just getting back to the rhizomes, they should not be flush with the substrate, they should be above. The entire rhizome needs circulation and having it flush will cause rot in the bottom. Same with the java fern. Sorry, I'm bein picky.

Otherwise, other than the screaming need for a lot more plants, I like what you've got so far. But things take time to setup.

llj

Thanks llj, I'm with you on the plants... I'm having a real hard time finding any here in Hawaii. It seems like there's one guy that imports from Miami, and he hasn't been calling them asking what they want lately. I think that one of them has some Wisteria, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I hear its a fast grower. I'll prolly buy as much of that as I can and stick it in tonight, or tomorrow morning at the latest.

I've also pulled the rhizomes out of the substrate, except for the Java Fern. Like I said, there was no rhizome on that, just straight stalks. Until I get some fishing line or something of the sort to tie it to the driftwood, it'll need to stay as it is. I'll try to take care of that tomorrow as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey all,
I've started a topic in the hardware forum about modifying my Coralife light fixture. you can see it here

- Chris

Thanks llj, I'm with you on the plants... I'm having a real hard time finding any here in Hawaii. It seems like there's one guy that imports from Miami, and he hasn't been calling them asking what they want lately. I think that one of them has some Wisteria, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I hear its a fast grower. I'll prolly buy as much of that as I can and stick it in tonight, or tomorrow morning at the latest.

I've also pulled the rhizomes out of the substrate, except for the Java Fern. Like I said, there was no rhizome on that, just straight stalks. Until I get some fishing line or something of the sort to tie it to the driftwood, it'll need to stay as it is. I'll try to take care of that tomorrow as well.

Thanks,
Chris

If you live in Hawaii - then maybe you should think about setting up a reef tank or marine fish-only tank... Therer must be plenty of choice around Hawaii...

Cheers...

If you live in Hawaii - then maybe you should think about setting up a reef tank or marine fish-only tank... Therer must be plenty of choice around Hawaii...

Cheers...

Hey Corin!

I've had reef tanks, sting rays, Marine fish only tanks, and freshwater tanks. Love all of em. The reason I'm doing a freshwater is because we have probably 30-40 people with Bettas in little bowls at my office. They see them as replaceable office toys. I Wanted to show them what a good betta home can look like.

While working towards that goal, I inadvertently decided to do a planted tank as well. Whoops! :)

It's coming along though. I found a store with some Vallisnaria and Anacharis that I will buy tomorrow. I'm planning on buying one bunh of Valls, as I hear they grow REALLY fast, and a load of Anacharis, at least until I'm sure there won't be any algae break out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

- Chris

Wow! The Vallisnaria and Anacharis really look great in the tank. I like the Anacharis the best, actually. That's weird because I was reluctant to buy it at the store.

Since I got them on Saturday morning, the Anacharis has dropped several 2-3 inch roots already. I didn't plant either of them per se, as I read that the Vall should only be burried to the top of the roots no higher, and there was surprisingly little roots on it. The Anacharis had no roots. They had some sort of malleable metal weight on them though, and I've left them on for now, until the roots grow into the soil. If anyone knows that these weights are bad for the tank, please let me know.

I do need to trim these plants badly though. The vall is easily taller than the tank is long, and the anacharis is close to that. Can I just snip snip the anacharis anywhere?

I read that the Vallisnaria should only be cut near the roots, as after being cut the leaves will turn brown and wither. I may have to wait until the shorter leaves grow out a bit before trimming all the long ones off, if this is the case.

The Java Fern "babies" are growing really fast. and the Anubias are looking healthy, though I'm not sure I like the placement anymore. I may move the center bunch over to the front left with the other two.

Look for pictures tonight!

- Chris

Well, I know I should know better, but I committed the sin of adding fish to my tank before the cycling was complete. I bought 3 Kuhli Loaches, primarily because they are difficult to get here in Hawaii, and the LFS just got a shipment in. I knew I was cycling, but had hoped that since I had a decent amount of plants, they would be fine.

Anyhow, I've got one large Valisnaria, 2 large bunches of Anacharis, 3 Anubias Nanas, and one Java Fern, all in a 5.5 gallon tank. The tank stays steady at 78-80F.

Stats:
PH - 8.1
Nitrate - 7.5ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Ammonia - .12ppm

I'm using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Master Kit to test the water.

On to the symptoms - looks like I've got some nasty white fungus growing on the Kuhlis. It's all in tiny white dots, but I don't know that it's ich. It looks too cottony to be ich (yet)

I've read that I can add salt (though another post said this is worthless), raise the temp to 87F (!!!), and treat with Methelyn Blue.

What I've decided to do is this:

Day 1:
50% water Change, vacuuming the gravel for ich cysts.
Raise water temp gradually, peaking at 86F by Day 3
Remove Carbon from Filter
Treat with Some form of Ich medicine, containing Formalin and Malachite Green

Day 2:
50% water Change
Retreat with ich Medicine
Continue Raising Temperature

Day 3:
50% Water Change
Retreat with Ich Medicine
Continue Raising Temperature

Day 4:
50% Water change

Day 5:
50% Water change
Begin lowering temperature until 79F on Day 8

Day 6:
25% Water Change
Continue lowering temperature

Day 7:
10% Water change
Continue lowering water temperature

Day 8:
Relax, enjoy fish, sleep easier.

If you see any issues with this, please let me know. I'm of course worried about the fish, and fairly angry with myself. I know better!

- Chris

I know you know, but you really shouldn't have added the loaches, they are very prone to whitespot and if the conditions aren't perfect when they are put in a new tank then they'll probably get it. Continue helping them and treating them though.

I know you know, but you really shouldn't have added the loaches, they are very prone to whitespot and if the conditions aren't perfect when they are put in a new tank then they'll probably get it. Continue helping them and treating them though.

I know, I know... ugh I'm an idiot. I actually was under the impression they were fairly hardy fish, I only found out their susceptibility as I've been researching this problem today.

Most reactions

Back