5G Stocking Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I am setting up a tank for my fiance. I thought he wanted a dwarf puffer but now he seems to be reconsidering. He doesn't like how small they are with only being able to keep 1.

A fish he has taken interest in is the Garner's Killifish (Fundulopanchax Gardneri), which according to this http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/ he could have 1 male and 2 females.

Is this indeed an acceptable size tank for them? I'm a tad confused at the list as it shows the Gardneri is fine for a 5g, while a clown killifish needs a 7g, but the clown is smaller. 
unsure.png

I'm also wondering, would it be possible to keep multiple males and no females, or would they be too aggressive with each other? He doesn't want babies and the males are prettier than the females, although he still does like the look of females.

Would also like to know what kind of dietary needs they have, I read that they like live food, but would New Life Spectrum small formula pellets be okay, with some occasional frozen bloodworms?

Also open to suggestions on other small fish, that aren't on the nano list link. I'd rather them not have anything too special with their diet, we can do frozen bloodworms but I think that's about it.

This tank is 16 x 8 x 10 inches (L x W x H), will have sand substrate, a 50w heater, and an Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter. Will also be doing plants, just not sure which ones yet. 

Our pH is 7.6, not sure on the other factors of our water. I think it's hard as we do get a limescale build-up.

Thank you very much
smile.png

Check out the pygmy Killifish,They can go in pairs or in trios and are suited to go in nano tanks.i have a pair in a 3.5 gallon.Another good thing is there American ranging from the SE US, so if your in that area they can be easy to find at stores and even catch.
leptolucaniaommata-01.jpg

TBH, I would go for a shrimp tank, fewer headaches.

A few red cherries, a nerite in a well planted tank and you're done.

Zante said:

Appreciate the suggestion, and I think I'd love that one day, for myself, but he is not interested really in shrimp :(

Ninjouzata said:

Appreciate the suggestion, and I think I'd love that one day, for myself, but he is not interested really in shrimp
sad.png

So no to my suggestion too?

I havn't had the chance to show him the picture, but I'm fairly certain he'd prefer the garner's killifish over them.
I thought him being a guy he'd like stuff like puffers but noo he wants the pretty and colorful fish
tongue2.gif

*Edit* Yes he prefers the Garner's, though he does think the pygmys are pretty.

Ninjouzata said:
I havn't had the chance to show him the picture, but I'm fairly certain he'd prefer the garner's killifish over them.
I thought him being a guy he'd like stuff like puffers but noo he wants the pretty and colorful fish
tongue2.gif
Looking at your measurements,Im not sure you can have any in that tank, i here the minmum is 18 inch, 45 cm long.

ncguppy830 said:

tongue2.gif
Looking at your measurements,Im not sure you can have any in that tank, i here the minmum is 18 inch, 45 cm long.

Yeah I don't know either. This is why I'm always a little unsure of linking that nano list. :/

Yeah sorry about that, the problem has been solved and the Gardner's Killifish has been removed from the list, sorry for any confusion caused.

Tek oot.

TekFish said:
Yeah sorry about that, the problem has been solved and the Gardner's Killifish has been removed from the list, sorry for any confusion caused.

Tek oot.
It's fine, not like you can get everything on the list 100% right. It requires some input from other people. Thank you so much for going through the trouble of making the list! :)

You're very welcome! Happy to do it.

Tek oot.

That's on the nano list, and he doesn't want one since I already have one :p He's picky

Yeah, its tricky finding anything suitable for a little 5 Gallon tank.

Here's my two pence worth,

Endlers?

More specifically Venus Guppy
(says its guppy but more like an endler to me! probably a hybrid really)

Very pretty and could possibly manage 3 or 4 males in a 5 gal.
You'd need to check to be sure though.

Here's a vid by a member from this forum

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/363347-bettas-and-venus-guppies/

He's still thinking on it. I'm sure he'll make up his mind one day :p Thank you for the suggestion

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back