55 Gallon Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Freddy Robins

Reaction score
Hey all, so I recently set up my 55 gallon planted (El and ferts) and was looking into differnent stocking options. I have boiled it down to a couple different options my main one, being congo tetras and some sort of rainbowfish (I absolutely love the way the two fish look) and if possible I would love to have some kuhli loaches on the bottom. Would these fish do well together (or even fit in the same tank?) Or do yall have any other suggestions? Thanks!

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Most rainbowfishes do better in water with a GH above 150ppm and a pH above 7.0.
Congo tetras come from water with a GH below 150ppm and a pH below 7.0.

-----------------------
The following link has information on rainbowfish.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Most rainbowfishes do better in water with a GH above 150ppm and a pH above 7.0.
Congo tetras come from water with a GH below 150ppm and a pH below 7.0.

-----------------------
The following link has information on rainbowfish.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
The tank is 48" x 21" x 12" or something around there I dont remember exactly, but it is a 55 standard. My ph is 7.5 and my GH is around 150 ppm.

Would you be able to explain more about the planted tank method you intend? Are you using diffused CO2, and very bright lighting? The EI method is a bit detrimental to fish, so I'm wondering if it is even needed, as without the CO2 and mega light it is more harm than good. I may be able to explain more when I have the info.

Also, what is the substrate?

Would you be able to explain more about the planted tank method you intend? Are you using diffused CO2, and very bright lighting? The EI method is a bit detrimental to fish, so I'm wondering if it is even needed, as without the CO2 and mega light it is more harm than good. I may be able to explain more when I have the info.

Also, what is the substrate?
I am using no C02, but am extending the light period(not increasing light). I am dosing El, but I guess I could stop if that is the best option. I currently have Black diamond blasting sand and am working on growing a carpet. Thanks!

I am using no C02, but am extending the light period(not increasing light). I am dosing El, but I guess I could stop if that is the best option. I currently have Black diamond blasting sand and am working on growing a carpet. Thanks!

Thanks. I may be able to offer some suggestions.

First, I would change the blasting sand. This is rough, it is intended to be abrasive as it is "blasting" sand. You mention kuhlii loaches, they would not fare at all well with this sand, nor would any substrate fish. Sand is ideal as a substrate, but it must be either aquarium-intended sand or play sand. I use the latter, it is very inexpensive, looks natural, and is completely safe. And plants grow well in sand.

Light. Duration does not compensate for intensity. Photosynthesis is driven by light intensity and spectrum, and the intensity is specific to the plant species so we can have high light requiring, moderate light requiring, and lower light requiring plants, generally speaking. Extending the duration if the intensity is insufficient will not help the plants but will encourage problem algae. If you are not intending diffused CO2, then i would go with moderate light. For one thing, fish do not like overhead lighting, so less intense will always cause them less trouble. And with moderate lighting and suitable plants (there are many), nutrient dosing can be reduced to balance, and that too helps fish. Every substance added to the aquarium water gets inside the fish, and while many may not kill them outright, it does affect them negatively.

EI involves adding excess nutrients for the plants, more than they can possibly use, and then removing the excess with a substantial water change once a week. Problem is, that the poor fish are forced to live in this soup and it does impact their metabolism and physiology.

Carpet plants need brighter light than many other plants, depending upon the species. And with increased light comes increased nutrients to balance to keep algae at bay and benefit the plants.

One can have heavily planted tanks that consider the fish first, which is my approach. Hope this provides some info.

Thanks. I may be able to offer some suggestions.

First, I would change the blasting sand. This is rough, it is intended to be abrasive as it is "blasting" sand. You mention kuhlii loaches, they would not fare at all well with this sand, nor would any substrate fish. Sand is ideal as a substrate, but it must be either aquarium-intended sand or play sand. I use the latter, it is very inexpensive, looks natural, and is completely safe. And plants grow well in sand.

Light. Duration does not compensate for intensity. Photosynthesis is driven by light intensity and spectrum, and the intensity is specific to the plant species so we can have high light requiring, moderate light requiring, and lower light requiring plants, generally speaking. Extending the duration if the intensity is insufficient will not help the plants but will encourage problem algae. If you are not intending diffused CO2, then i would go with moderate light. For one thing, fish do not like overhead lighting, so less intense will always cause them less trouble. And with moderate lighting and suitable plants (there are many), nutrient dosing can be reduced to balance, and that too helps fish. Every substance added to the aquarium water gets inside the fish, and while many may not kill them outright, it does affect them negatively.

EI involves adding excess nutrients for the plants, more than they can possibly use, and then removing the excess with a substantial water change once a week. Problem is, that the poor fish are forced to live in this soup and it does impact their metabolism and physiology.

Carpet plants need brighter light than many other plants, depending upon the species. And with increased light comes increased nutrients to balance to keep algae at bay and benefit the plants.

One can have heavily planted tanks that consider the fish first, which is my approach. Hope this provides some info.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely take them into consideration. But, I am still looking for an answer reguarding my original question. Thanks!

The fish should be fine in that size tank, however, you will have to pick rainbowfish that don't come from lakes in New Guinea. Some species like Melanotaenia boesemani come from hard alkaline water and will struggle with your GH.

Most of the Australia rainbowfishes should be fine with a GH of 150ppm. They do better in slightly harder water though.

Rainbowfish might eat Khuli loaches but will be less likely to if the are well fed and you have lots of plants and wood for the loaches to hide under.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back