55 Gallon Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

That's the water quality report. In the UK at least, they give hardness in a different section of the website. But not all providers give general hardness on their websites; they may be able to tell you if you contact them, or use an LFS.

But your image shows they also give alkalinity and this is the term used by water companies for carbonate hardness. I wonder if "hardness, carbonate" really is what you need. Does it mean your hardness expressed as calcium carbonate? It would be safer to check with an LFS.

Also, do you know, if I were to put a school of tetras in my tank, say 10 or so, would I have a problem with a Raphael Catfish eating them?

Also, do you know, if I were to put a school of tetras in my tank, say 10 or so, would I have a problem with a Raphael Catfish eating them?

Yes, very likely. The Raphael Catfish, species Platydoras armatulus, can attain 8 inches (20 cm) though in an aquarium six inches (15 cm) is usual. Any small fish able to fit inside the rather huge mouth opening can be targeted, and given that the Raphael is nocturnal when the tetras, etc are not, it is probable they will disappear.

These fish are greedy eaters and will gorge anything; if you do get one (I would not advise it here) do not overfeed. They tend to eat meaty foods which includes chopped earthworms, live or frozen bloodworms, blackworms, and shrimp, plus prepared sinking foods.

Yes, very likely. The Raphael Catfish, species Platydoras armatulus, can attain 8 inches (20 cm) though in an aquarium six inches (15 cm) is usual. Any small fish able to fit inside the rather huge mouth opening can be targeted, and given that the Raphael is nocturnal when the tetras, etc are not, it is probable they will disappear.

These fish are greedy eaters and will gorge anything; if you do get one (I would not advise it here) do not overfeed. They tend to eat meaty foods which includes chopped earthworms, live or frozen bloodworms, blackworms, and shrimp, plus prepared sinking foods.

Thank you. Thatā€™s what I was thinking. From the list of fish I originally posted, minus the catfish and Molly, am I good to get a large school of tetras?

Thank you. Thatā€™s what I was thinking. From the list of fish I originally posted, minus the catfish and Molly, am I good to get a large school of tetras?

I see a few issues with the fish mentioned.

First, activity level. Sedate fish that cruise slowly around (angelfish, gourami) do not like being together with active fish that like to swim energetically (danios, most barbs, some tetras). So you need to have either but not both together.

Second, shoaling fish always do better the more there are of the individual species. Six is the usually the minimum suggested everywhere, but a few more will always result in healthier fish and more likely fish that show natural behaviours better, which is a positive in the hobby so one we should aim for. I will leave this until we have species identified, but for example if you went with rummynose tetras, this species is always best with at least 12 and up to 20+. In a 4-foot 55g you could certainly have 20 of these and it would be a beautiful site.

Third, Colin already mentioned the dwarf gourami issue and I would avoid that species. Additionally, gourami and cichlids are best not combined as they are so much alike. Males are territorial, which can be minor or major depending upon the species.

Angelfish...this is a shoaling fish that should be in a group of minimum five. They cannot be in groups of four, three or two; the only exception is a mated/bonded pair. A single angelfish would work but I am not in favour of maintaining a fish contrary to its requirements/expectations. Bonded/mated pair means the male/female have accepted each other and are thus more likely to get along. But there are no guarantees. However, if you have male/female you will obviously have spawning, and this can be an issue depending upon the angelfish themselves and the other tankmates.

So going back to the activity issue, if you did have angelfish or gourami (another species) you would want quiet less-active tankmates. There are many tetras suited, and most of the rasboras. The cherry barb is about the only barb that could work, though I personally would not include it but rather look at the tetras and rasboras. Danio definitely not, these are very active swimmers.

I see a few issues with the fish mentioned.

First, activity level. Sedate fish that cruise slowly around (angelfish, gourami) do not like being together with active fish that like to swim energetically (danios, most barbs, some tetras). So you need to have either but not both together.

Second, shoaling fish always do better the more there are of the individual species. Six is the usually the minimum suggested everywhere, but a few more will always result in healthier fish and more likely fish that show natural behaviours better, which is a positive in the hobby so one we should aim for. I will leave this until we have species identified, but for example if you went with rummynose tetras, this species is always best with at least 12 and up to 20+. In a 4-foot 55g you could certainly have 20 of these and it would be a beautiful site.

Third, Colin already mentioned the dwarf gourami issue and I would avoid that species. Additionally, gourami and cichlids are best not combined as they are so much alike. Males are territorial, which can be minor or major depending upon the species.

Angelfish...this is a shoaling fish that should be in a group of minimum five. They cannot be in groups of four, three or two; the only exception is a mated/bonded pair. A single angelfish would work but I am not in favour of maintaining a fish contrary to its requirements/expectations. Bonded/mated pair means the male/female have accepted each other and are thus more likely to get along. But there are no guarantees. However, if you have male/female you will obviously have spawning, and this can be an issue depending upon the angelfish themselves and the other tankmates.

So going back to the activity issue, if you did have angelfish or gourami (another species) you would want quiet less-active tankmates. There are many tetras suited, and most of the rasboras. The cherry barb is about the only barb that could work, though I personally would not include it but rather look at the tetras and rasboras. Danio definitely not, these are very active swimmers.

Thatā€™s some good information thanks! Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll stay away from the angels and Gouramis and look into a big school or some sort of colorful tetras instead.

Thatā€™s some good information thanks! Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll stay away from the angels and Gouramis and look into a big school or some sort of colorful tetras instead.

Once you have the GH confirmed it will be easier to suggest fish. But assuming it is on the soft side as previously suggested, there are many tetras that would work in this 4-foot 55g tank. One of the larger is the Bleeding Heart Tetra, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, which would very nice in a group of 9-10. Larger than most of the tetras commonly seen but peaceful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back