55 Gallon Stocking

Ok how much does a typical powerhead cost because one of those might help a bit.

It depends... as low as $20, as high as $100+. It depends on a lot of factors. The one you would need wouldn't have to be very powerful, nor move a lot of water, so you would probably be looking in the $20-$40 range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IMPOJ8/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1322059827&sr=8-2
Does this one look good.

Does it mount to the side of the tank with suction cups for ease of placement or moving as needed? If so, then go for it. It should work just fine. You'll have to experiment with it a little to get it set just the way you want/need it though. Be patient. It will do what you need, your just going to have to figure out how the current works with your decor and plants.

Ok I could toy with it while the tank is cycling.

And it does come with suction cups

I think I'm going to use a marineland 400 as well as the filter. I'm getting really angry though so might not get this tank now. Need money to restock my tank in about a month.

I think I'm going to use a marineland 400 as well as the filter. I'm getting really angry though so might not get this tank now. Need money to restock my tank in about a month.
Is that the Marineland emporer 400? If so, those are the filters I have on my larger tanks. GREAT filters :)

Yes that's what I'm talking about $40 bucks on amazon. Do they require two media pads? It looks like it in the picture but not sure.

yes they do. there is also some cartridges for carbon or ammo lock or whatever. If you take those out, you can cram all sorts of "mature" media in there. And they are quiet filters too :)

Such as?

How do the pads work when they get old. The package on my filters say change monthly so how do they work if I just scrub it down?

do NOT throw them away. Use them till they are literally falling apart, and then take the pieces and put them in your filter with a new one. About once a month, use old tank water to rinse the filter pads, just to get the clumpy stuff off, and put it back in your filter. If you replace the filters monthly, you will mini cycle your tank every month.

Ok so how long would you say a filter cartridge can be used for?

Should I replace the carbon ever in the pad?

Like I said, it can be used until it falls apart. And no, you do not need to replace the carbon in the pad. Carbon only needs to be used when removing medications and such.

Should I remove it like I did today?

I might use a penguin 350. It should work in a similar fashion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back