55 Gallon Planted Tank "trimmed Madness"

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The surface of the tank has developed a film..not really sure what it is, how can I remove it? Any ideas?

It's most likely due to protein buildup. You can increase surface agitation or place paper towels over it to soak it up.
Nice plant growth btw.

Yeah I usually just hide it behind the water sprite to the left.. its plastic coated, can't be bad for the tank.

Well I mean, it's been in there for over a year and nothing has happened.. it never got on my nerves. if you look at it, it's not like it looks poorly made.

That's a good point, but taking that thing out and drying it everytime would be more of a hassle to me. lol so i just leave it in.

A little bit of rearrangement. I've moved the red ludwigia to the middle of the tank, where it can get more light. Added some riccia to rocks in the middle also. Trimmed the water sprite, so its a little neater.

I need aquascaping ideas though, anyone got an good ideas?
1. Should I get rid of the wood? I feel like it adds to the tank, but now sure if its in the right position.
2. I'm getting java fern in the mail in a few days, should I attach it using superglue? Or better yet, where should I add it?
3. Should I move the amazon sword over a little more to the right to give it less of a cramped space with the wood?

Here's an update picture:
DSCN4409.jpg

And a closeup of the riccia:
DSCN4410.jpg

Thanks for looking!

i alos leave my algae magnet in my tanks so much more convenient for those "walk by" scrubs.

If I were you i'd replace that piece of wood with something a bit chunkier and larger - at the moment it's not much of a feature in my opinion. Then plant your new java fern on that. The superglue thing is news to me, though i'm told it's perfectly safe, and I expect it's a lot less fiddly than using fishing line or cotton to tie it on

I think I may add a rock between the current rocks and the piece of wood and attach the java fern to that. Move the amazon sword over, and the piece of wood will look better with more plants surrounding it.

If anyone sees the cryptocoryne on the right, what should I do with it? I looks lonely and grows slowly.. should I move it all the way to the right towards the glass?

Did a little rearrangement, added java fern and more riccia to the bottom, as well as dwarf hairgrass. Looking more like an aquascape, just looking for more ideas though..anyone?

untitled-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back