55 Gallon Doscus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, had a question.

55 gallon, heavily planted tank. Stocking idea of mine..
Would a breeding pair of discus be able to happily live in a 55 gallon aquarium with some sort of pleco/ottos and about 6 panda corries? Would having a pair of German blue rams be suitable tank mates?

So a total of- 2 discus (breeding pair), A pair of GBR, ^ or more panda corries, and some sort of algae eater. Overstocked? Understocked? Opinions and advice welcome!

..... if understocked... some hatchet fish???

EDIT*- I just realized i accidentally spelled Discus wrong in the title...whoops.

my general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon. after that it comes down to whether or not the species of fish will get along or not.

my general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon. after that it comes down to whether or not the species of fish will get along or not.

ummmm....yeah well you do know that the 1 inch per fish is not exactly always true... Some fish such as discus and angelfish are rounder and taller rather than length, which is the flaw in the 1 inch per gallon. And not to mention there are exceptions to every rule :/ Some people go more than 1 inch per gallon, which i dont exactly encourage but its either their filter can handle it because they have the necessary amount of bacteria to break down waste or other reasons.... and the reason why i posted this...post was too try and see if somone actually knew anything about the species getting along...not someone telling me to figure that out :b as that is what I'm trying to do.... (dont mean to be hasty sorry)

No doubt Discus experts will post soon and provide accurate info...

I just wanted to ask are you actually planning to buy a known breeding pair of Discus or just one male and one female?

If you don't have a known pair you really ought to have a group of discus not just 2, once (if) you get a pair then you can sell on the others

I think a 55USG tank would happily take a known pair of Discus, not sure if it's big enough for a group of 4-6 though

yeah a proven pair would work in there also a group of 6 would be ok

if you go for a breeding pair make sure it is a proven established pair , just putting 2 discus in and hoping for a pair to form wont work. you could go for a group of 6 , but i would say only if you were to simplify the scape as you say its heavily planted and discus do like plenty of swimming space. and 55g is a bare minimum for a group of discus , so the more space you can provide the better.

Thanks everyone! And YES A PROVEN BREEDING PAIR, not two random discus! I probably wouldn't try a group of 6 in a 55 gallon, as like it was pointed out they would just be squished... or at least not as happy as if they were in a larger tank (that goes for any fish, the bigger the better when it comes to aquarium size)

Good stuff, pics when you have them please
good.gif

Good stuff, pics when you have them please
good.gif

Unfortunately this will take a while, as i do not have the tank yet.... or enough money to purchase my CO2 system...but Im working on it! Hahaha....and im not sure if i just want to do angelfish, hatchets, and corys instead of discus pair...

Do GBR mix well with Angels? ive been getting a lot of mixed reviews...

Not sure about GBRs with Angels, I would expect they';d work like any other SA cichlid mix, if from a young age I don't see why not at all

I have hatchets and to be honest they are just plain boring, they sit in one spot most of the time...alright so they look different but I personally wouldn't get any now I know what they're like.

You could keep quite a few different american cichlids in a 55USG...anything up to the 6" mark which there is quite some variety of...acara/firemouth/convicts etc etc could be keep so long as no breeding pairs form assuming you'd have a fair few...

Not sure about GBRs with Angels, I would expect they';d work like any other SA cichlid mix, if from a young age I don't see why not at all

I have hatchets and to be honest they are just plain boring, they sit in one spot most of the time...alright so they look different but I personally wouldn't get any now I know what they're like.

You could keep quite a few different american cichlids in a 55USG...anything up to the 6" mark which there is quite some variety of...acara/firemouth/convicts etc etc could be keep so long as no breeding pairs form assuming you'd have a fair few...

When you talk about American cichlids, are you meaning a cichlid only tank? Or are those other possible fish to have with angelfish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back