55 gal stocking ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Re the angelfish, that could be done but not all angelfish aquarists would agree in this small a tank space. A group of say five or six might start out OK, but along the way a pair is likely to form, and that can spell trouble, requiring the removal of either the pair to another tank, or the removal of the other angelfish. A dominant male could easily result in the harassment and even death of subordinate fish. Gourami would be a better option, Pearls were mentioned and a good species; or rainbowfish. Then smaller shoaling/schooling species in decent-sized groups depending what centrepiece you go with. Some rainbowfish need harder water than what seems to be the case here.
I'm definitely not opposed to going with gourami or something else! Could 1 Angel and some gourami co-exist or are angels just too much of divas?

Th issue with Vallisneria is most likely the soft water; I have very soft water and the Vallisneria "managed" for a time, but never really thrived. They are native to one of the rift lakes, which tells us they like hard water. The other plants mentioned are OK in this regard.

When you come to build the aquascape, position the wood off centre; the space will appear larger, and it will not be so "artificial".
That would explain alot. Vals always do well for several months then melt away permanently for me.

I was thinking of positioning the wood to one side, so happy to hear you advising off center placement 😀

i was thinking since u have that beutiful wood, try making a river themed! Fine black sand, or fine river(light brown) sand, and stock with maybe gouramis or angels for your starpiece top dweller, and a rainbow shark for your bottom dweller, for schooling to go with ur starpiece, try african congo tetra
I am doing black sand. I have 2 juvenile calico bristlenose plecos that will be going into this tank...but thus far those are the only fish purchased haha. (They're tiny and in a growout tank right now)

I'm definitely not opposed to going with gourami or something else! Could 1 Angel and some gourami co-exist or are angels just too much of divas?

Cichlids and gourami are not advisable together. Males of both groups are territorial, some remarkably so, and it is best not to antagonize them with un-natural settings.

Since you mention "one angelfish," I will just note that this fish is a shoaling species, living in groups. The hierarchy that forms can be significant. In their habitats, or in very large tanks, this does not cause issues because there is space for the subordinate fish to retreat into. I am not an aquarist who thinks maintaining a species of fish contrary to the inherent "expectations" of fish in that species is fair, or frankly humane, and we know it always causes stress. Evolution has programmed all of this into the species DNA, and recognizing this fact and providing accordingly will without question mean healthier fish because they are less stressed; after all, some 90% of all fish disease in our aquarium fish is directly due to stress. The pathogen may be present, but most fish have immune systems that deal with this--except when the fish is subjected to stress.

Cichlids and gourami are not advisable together. Males of both groups are territorial, some remarkably so, and it is best not to antagonize them with un-natural settings.

Since you mention "one angelfish," I will just note that this fish is a shoaling species, living in groups. The hierarchy that forms can be significant. In their habitats, or in very large tanks, this does not cause issues because there is space for the subordinate fish to retreat into. I am not an aquarist who thinks maintaining a species of fish contrary to the inherent "expectations" of fish in that species is fair, or frankly humane, and we know it always causes stress. Evolution has programmed all of this into the species DNA, and recognizing this fact and providing accordingly will without question mean healthier fish because they are less stressed; after all, some 90% of all fish disease in our aquarium fish is directly due to stress. The pathogen may be present, but most fish have immune systems that deal with this--except when the fish is subjected to stress.
That makes complete sense. I hadnt researched into angels fully. I don't want to stress incompatible fish.

I think I've decided on either pearl gourami or moonlight gourami. For pearl, 2 males to 4 females or 1 male to several females... or for the moonlight, 1 male to 2 females? I'm reading mixed info on how many can go in a 55.

My 2 calico BN juvies will go in this tank. I am unsure of what I should do for my schooling fish.

I love cories and kuhlis. I have panda cories and striped and black kuhlis in my 20 gallon. How many could go in a 55?

I'd go with 1 male plus several female pearls if you choose them. I bought 5 pearls for my 48 gallon tank, what I thought were 1 male, 4 females. One of the females turned out to be an immature male. The dominant male spent most of his time chasing the other male until I returned it to the store.

I think I've decided on either pearl gourami or moonlight gourami. For pearl, 2 males to 4 females or 1 male to several females... or for the moonlight, 1 male to 2 females? I'm reading mixed info on how many can go in a 55.

My 2 calico BN juvies will go in this tank. I am unsure of what I should do for my schooling fish.

I love cories and kuhlis. I have panda cories and striped and black kuhlis in my 20 gallon. How many could go in a 55?

Keeping in mind @Essjay advice, I'll confine myself to the Moonlight Gourami, Trichopodus microlepis. This beautiful gourami is peaceful but skittish, so it needs very sedate non-active swimmers as tankmates...though that rather applies to most gourami, but especially so here. It is also large, attaining six inches, and smaller fish may be seen as food. Males are, like all gourami species, territorial, so one with say two females would make a nice display, with a good cover of floating plants.

As for the other fish, nothing wrong with cories or kuhli loaches in general, but...the Moonlight needs higher temperatures (in the range of 77-86F) which will burn out the panda cories that need it lower. Depending how warm you keep it, most cories will also not fare well. They also need sand, as do loaches. And the Moonlight needs very low water flow in the tank, actually all gourami do.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind @Essjay advice, I'll confine myself to the Moonlight Gourami, Trichopodus microlepis. This beautiful gourami is peaceful but skittish, so it needs very sedate non-active swimmers as tankmates...though that rather applies to most gourami, but especially so here. It is also large, attaining six inches, and smaller fish may be seen as food. Males are, like all gourami species, territorial, so one with say two females would make a nice display, with a good cover of floating plants.

As for the other fish, nothing wrong with cories or kuhli loaches in general, but...the Moonlight needs higher temperatures (in the range of 77-86F) which will burn out the panda cories that need it lower. Depending how warm you keep it, most cories will also not fare well. They also need sand, as do loaches. And the Moonlight needs very low water flow in the tank, actually all gourami do.
Oh I didn't realize that about the cories. My pandas are at 77 currently and they've even spawned successfully over the almost 3 years I've had them.

What would be a good tankmate option for the gourami, in your opinion?

I'm definitely doing sand.

I'm sure I can figure out a way to calm the flow with the adjusters on my canister.

Maybe Bolivian Rams would be a better option.

I really can't decide 😕 I haven't started completely fresh with a tank(especially this large) in so long I feel like a newbie.

My pandas are at 77 currently and they've even spawned successfully over the almost 3 years I've had them.

Yes, but I would not go any higher than 76-77F and the Moonlight should be a tad warmer, this is the low end of its range which means it can "manage" but preferably not long-term. Temperature is misunderstood by many; a degree or two can have more of an impact on the fish's long-term health even though the fish appear to be managing well today. Fish are ectothermic, which means the temperature of the surrounding water drives their metabolism, and evolution has programmed each fish species to function best/easiest at "x" temperature. This is one reason the habitat of a species is worth knowing; water temperatures do not vary all that much in the tropics, but even so this is not permanent variation but temporary. C. panda is endemic to Rio Aquas and Rio Amarillas (tributary of Rio Pachitea), Rio Ucayali system, upper Amazon in Peru. Water flow is somewhat faster in these mountain streams, with cooler temperatures.

What would be a good tankmate option for the gourami, in your opinion?

This is not easy to answer, assuming you mean the Moonlight Gourami, as we have very specific criteria to meet...warmer temperatures and size (to avoid being eaten) and activity level. I would need to do some research. The Pearls would be an easy match ;).

Maybe Bolivian Rams would be a better option.

I really can't decide 😕 I haven't started completely fresh with a tank(especially this large) in so long I feel like a newbie.

This post appeared as I was typing . Yes, this is one of those rare cases when cichlids and gourami could be together (generally not a good idea) if the species are carefully selected. The Bolivians remain close to the substrate, the gourami close to the upper level. The Bolivians can manage with the temperature. They are very territorial though, a male will easily consider this sized tank as his domain, so much so that this species does very well as a solitary fish (of the species).

are you dead set on gouramis?
if not gouramis, i would do a group of pufferfish, either the amazon puffer or a species from the auriglobus genus, but then you'd be limited to a small number of compatible tankmates. still though, i think it's worth the tradeoff since they're very interesting fish (more so than gouramis in my opinion). 5-6 puffers would probably be good assuming your tank is standard size. there's no truly accurate information or reputable place to buy auriglobus genus puffers online (i found out the hard way), but you can ask me for any care info if you decide that puffers are right for you.
i'd recommend the schoutedeni puffer (since they're generally considered the most compatible puffer for community aquariums), but i'm guessing that the price tag on them would bust your budget 🙃

Yes, but I would not go any higher than 76-77F and the Moonlight should be a tad warmer, this is the low end of its range which means it can "manage" but preferably not long-term. Temperature is misunderstood by many; a degree or two can have more of an impact on the fish's long-term health even though the fish appear to be managing well today. Fish are ectothermic, which means the temperature of the surrounding water drives their metabolism, and evolution has programmed each fish species to function best/easiest at "x" temperature. This is one reason the habitat of a species is worth knowing; water temperatures do not vary all that much in the tropics, but even so this is not permanent variation but temporary. C. panda is endemic to Rio Aquas and Rio Amarillas (tributary of Rio Pachitea), Rio Ucayali system, upper Amazon in Peru. Water flow is somewhat faster in these mountain streams, with cooler temperatures.

This is not easy to answer, assuming you mean the Moonlight Gourami, as we have very specific criteria to meet...warmer temperatures and size (to avoid being eaten) and activity level. I would need to do some research. The Pearls would be an easy match ;).
I will have to turn their thermometer down a couple of degrees then to make them happier.

In that case, if I were to go the gourami route, I'd probably do pearls. What tank mates would be best for them? Just as a refresher, I also have soft water (40ppm and 6.6ish pH - double checking this part once I get my new tester on friday)

Last edited:
are you dead set on gouramis?
if not gouramis, i would do a group of pufferfish, either the amazon puffer or a species from the auriglobus genus, but then you'd be limited to a small number of compatible tankmates. still though, i think it's worth the tradeoff since they're very interesting fish (more so than gouramis in my opinion). 5-6 puffers would probably be good assuming your tank is standard size. there's no truly accurate information or reputable place to buy auriglobus genus puffers online (i found out the hard way), but you can ask me for any care info if you decide that puffers are right for you.
i'd recommend the schoutedeni puffer (since they're generally considered the most compatible puffer for community aquariums), but i'm guessing that the price tag on them would bust your budget 🙃
Not dead set on gourami, but don't have a huge budget either. Trying to avoid having all the fish shipped in if I can. Its hard for me to be home and present when packages are dropped off in the 2 hour window in case of DOAs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back