53 gallon tank stocking

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

.rena

Reaction score
hello:)
i'm on the journey of setting up a 53 gallon aquarium (100×40×50cm). i have an eheim professionel 2228 and an aquael model fan-3 plus filter. my question would be, can i keep the following fish in this tank comfortably, or could i do even more?
angelfish -4
cherry barb -about 15
black molly -4 (3females-1male)
swordtail -4 (3-1)
dwarf corydora -6
pleco (probably a bristlenose) -1

thank you for the answer in advance:) feel free to give any tips, i would apreciate it.

What is your water hardness? If you don't know, you can look it up on your water company website or online by zip code.

Considering only the fish in the list in post #1...

No to the angelfish. This is a species that inherently needs a group and five can sometimes work, but more might have better success. However, there is not sufficient space here for these, they need a very long tank. One angelfish alone would suite the tank in terms of space, but I do not believe one should keep fish contrary to their needs as this would be inhumane.

No to the dwarf cories, as the GH here is much too high. They also need a much larger group and a sand substrate, I mention these requirements for information but the GH is a block.

The livebearers should thrive. Just realize (you may already) that male and female will mean batches of fry regularly and the fish will not bee able to eat all of them, so plans have to consider this. All males solves the problem.

The GHis likely an issue for the bristlenose. The cherry barbs would prefer softer water, but they would be at the high end of the range most sources give for this species if commercially raised as I suspect they will/would be so they may be OK.

Considering only the fish in the list in post #1...

No to the angelfish. This is a species that inherently needs a group and five can sometimes work, but more might have better success. However, there is not sufficient space here for these, they need a very long tank. One angelfish alone would suite the tank in terms of space, but I do not believe one should keep fish contrary to their needs as this would be inhumane.

No to the dwarf cories, as the GH here is much too high. They also need a much larger group and a sand substrate, I mention these requirements for information but the GH is a block.

The livebearers should thrive. Just realize (you may already) that male and female will mean batches of fry regularly and the fish will not bee able to eat all of them, so plans have to consider this. All males solves the problem.

The GHis likely an issue for the bristlenose. The cherry barbs would prefer softer water, but they would be at the high end of the range most sources give for this species if commercially raised as I suspect they will/would be so they may be OK.
thank you for all of the information!:))

Most reactions

Back