🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Currently holds

1 senegal
1 delhezi
1 dwarf giraffe cat
1 P. Guttatus (similar to dwarf giraffe but better)
2 peacock eels (one striped, one regular)
2 un-id'd africans

The africans I'm keeping until I'm 100% sure on the ID or have found another hime for them (if I don't decide to keep them). But anyway, the tank is lacking in movement, all the fish bar the cichlids are nocturnal which doesn't help much. If, when I go to Aqualife, they still have the triportheus I'll get however many are left (will only be one or two). But that's still pretty boring. Any fish need to be large (although I could grow out in the 2ft until they are bigger), interesting and active. No ABFs, they're rubbish. I was thinking exodons but they're small and a pain to get.

I love ABF. But it is rubbish that you can keep them with. My senegal made a treat out of mine....

But for oddball topdwellers? I can't think of anything. The only things that stay up there that I can think of even are discus, angels, and goumari, and those move all over...

edit:

DUR HUR! A top dwelling odd fish? ever heard of a needle fish? they get to a foot long though. but the tank should be suitable. they float mid to top at like, all times.

Bump. The eels will be moving out soon, so that should free up more room. I've had silver dollars suggested as 'dithers'- anything similar but slightly less... normal? Other than that I'm still looking for single top dwellers- bear in mind the bichirs are still out for snacks and the cichlids can give a good beating if they get annoyed (although they mainly beat each other).

African Butterfly Fish is ABF......What about some Congo Tetra's as top dwellers?? Although they aren't really oddball are they...

BLind cave tetra? they get huge and In the LFS seem to take up top... but cave... I would assume would take to caves...

RainbowS?

A few that come to mind are:Red Tail Shark, Some type of Gourami maybe, Rainbows. I like the idea of blind Cave fish, I think they would fit in to your tank since you have some rarities in there.

Blind cave tetras only get to 3".

Kissing gourami? They get to at least 10" and can reach 12". You may need to grow them out though. I know they're not oddballs but they are probably a good 'silver dollar replacement' and they can handle aggression rather well.

Oh I just thought of some fish that I think are brackish but they can be switched over to freshwater quite easily. The only way I can describe its shape is like if you were to lay the fish on its side it would look like a manta ray in shape. It has Black and Silver stripes and get to be a little bigger than an average human hand. I'll look around see if i can find what I'm thinking of.

Edit: Ok its Mono. Sebae, But now that I think about it I dont know if they are easily switched from brackish to freshwater if you can do it at all. Someone might be able to varify this.

siamese tiger fish would suffice as an oddball but they get to a fair size as do your other fish but they would move around the aquaria as would a small arowana (not silver 4' plus)

plenty of choice dependant on what you want :unsure:

There is no species of arowana that could live in that tank for longer than a few months at most. A siamese tiger fish would quickly make snacks of any of the present stock. Monodactylus sebae canot and should not be kept in freshwater for the long term.

If you can find them Tetragonopterus argenteus make a nice alternative to silver dollars, they dont seem to be amazingly common but appear in shops from time to time. You could also look into rainbow fish, not the most interesting of fish but the colours on some species are amazing.

I had two ABF's with my 2 Senegals, 1 Delhezi and 1 Buetikofferi and they were all fine together.. never even snapped at the ABF's.

Most reactions

Back